rescued sulcata-soft shell + ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn

5 Year Member
Hi i recently rescued a sulcata found add on craiglist they were selling her for 100 but the just decided to give her to me they said she was two yrs old but was 8 inches i thought there was no way i figure it was about maybe 4 or 5 but anyway they had here in a aquarium and the were feed him almost a ful head of iceburg lettuce a day no outside exposure no water the funny thing is they thought they were goin good so i brung fat stuff what i call her now i noticed she has a real soft shell i put her on a nothing but orchard grass and i sprinkle calcium over every four days make her a pin out side that's 15 x 30 feet and bring her in at night she likes to soak alot and she is very active i also from the pics they sent i did not notice she was pyramiding anything i could do to get her healthier faster ?

Attachments

• 20130706_115317.jpg
    20130706_115317.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 176

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: some advice please

Lots os sunshine and a much improved diet and some good hydration and she should do fine. Has a little pyramiding, but not bad at all for the poor care she has had.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
some advice please

How do you notice it had soft shell? Is soft at touch? I'm not an expert at all. I'm just a newbie and I would like to make sure my sulcatas are healthy in that aspect. Thank you! I hope someone help you.

bigjohn

5 Year Member

Evy said:
How do you notice it had soft shell? Is soft at touch? I'm not an expert at all. I'm just a newbie and I would like to make sure my sulcatas are healthy in that aspect. Thank you! I hope someone help you.

When i went to see her i picked her up in i noticed right away i have 9 other turtles and a 13 months old sulcata and never noticed that on any of them

bigjohn

5 Year Member

Evy said:

So just by picking her up and handling her

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

Less sandy soil, get her outside as much as possible., variety of graze is best. Let her mow your lawn!

bigjohn

5 Year Member
here she is the night before i got her20130731_132022.jpg20130731_125908.jpgHere's fat stuff a month after i rescued her exploring her the START of her new homeIMG_6663.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bigjohn

5 Year Member
20130919_160059.jpg20130919_160050.jpgHave had her for almost three months with proper diet plenty of out side time her shell is firming up nicely here is a few pic from her this after noon.

Last edited by a moderator:

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Somehow i cant see the last 2 pics :-/

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.