Rescued off a main road

Revett

Location (City and/or State)
Thailand
I live in Thailand and rescued this tortoise/turtle off the road. Can someone help identify if he is a tortoise or a turtle? I think he may be a redeared slider but there does not seem to be any red in the ear area. I need to organize a proper enclosure for it but not sure if he needs water to swim in or just to drink as I can’t identify his species. Also any ideas if it is a male or female from the underside picture attached? It is roughly 10” long
Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_2338.jpegIMG_2337.jpegIMG_2336.jpegIMG_2335.jpeg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Definitely a turtle of some type, but I can't identify which species offhand.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's is a turtle. Needs water to swim. When you find out the type it is, if its native to your area, you need to let it go back where you found it, but off the road.
@Markw84

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's a female Red eared slider, I think. Pond turtle. Needs a pond setup with basking area, etc

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's a female Red eared slider, I think. Pond turtle. Needs a pond setup with basking area, etc
Red earred sliders have the red marks on each side of the face. That's where the name comes from. This one has no red.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I found a picture of a Cumberland slider turtle, it look very similar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812_134617_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_134617_Google.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 2

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sometimes the red is very faint, especially in old turtles like this one. But yes, could be some other slider or a hybrid.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is indeed a Tracheyms - probably red-eared slider. Could be a Cumberland or an intergrade between the two as the pet trade is loaded with intergrades. Obviously this one came from the pet trade, or its parents did before getting established in that area. The red marking on a red-ear is often very faded even on some younger ones sometimes. Older ones can have that coloration totally disappear. Especially males. This is a female, however, but appears quite old. Even the typical slider carapace markings have almost totally disappeared. Normally see this in old males, but not as much in females.

Revett

Thailand
That is indeed a Tracheyms - probably red-eared slider. Could be a Cumberland or an intergrade between the two as the pet trade is loaded with intergrades. Obviously this one came from the pet trade, or its parents did before getting established in that area. The red marking on a red-ear is often very faded even on some younger ones sometimes. Older ones can have that coloration totally disappear. Especially males. This is a female, however, but appears quite old. Even the typical slider carapace markings have almost totally disappeared. Normally see this in old males, but not as much in females.
Thank you for the information it is a great help