Idiotic Road "Rescue"

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
I'm really annoyed with the competency of some people in this world right now. A few minutes ago, right in the middle of the road there was a snapping turtle. There were some workers that were clearing the brush on the side of the road, and I think what happened is a person in a car stopped to save it, but was too scared to actually pick it up. I think she asked the workers if they would help, and a few of them came over to move it.

This is where the idiotic part of the story comes in. Keep in mind all these workers are all large men with thick leather gloves on that would probably protect them even if they did get bitten, but no. They are much to terrified to touch it, and are using big metal rods to poke and jab the turtle across the road. At this point I had started to try and cross the road, but it took a while for there to be a break in the traffic. While I was trying to get across, One worker came over with a LEAF BLOWER! (by the way, this was not a run-of-the-mill small leaf blower, this was a giant construction type backpack style one) I had to just watch in horror as he turned it on full blast, blowing the poor turtle end over end on the hard road.:mad: I'm yelling at them as loud as I can, but they can't hear me over the stupid blower. I see a break in the traffic, and run over. At this point I finally got them to hear me, and they turned off the blower. I simply picked up the turtle from the middle of the shell, and moved it across the road. In was so stressed out that I thought it was dead for a few minutes after I put it down. It did finally move though, so I'm hoping the moronic workers didn't cause it any permanent harm other than a dinged up shell.

It really makes me sad to know there are people that are this incompetent when it comes to dealing with animals. You would think it would be common sense to not use a massive leaf blower on an animal, wouldn't you? And the turtle was probably trying to lay eggs too.:(

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m not shocked. I just moved a giant black rat snake away from construction yesterday. Those idiots were throwing rocks at it. Poor thing was balled up and terrified. I’m all of 5 foot 4 and 120 lbs. in heels and a dress I picked up the snake. I hate stupid people as well buuuuut our planet abounds with them and even lets them breed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly not surprised either. At least though they were trying to save it. My last two road trips was filled with ran over snappers that were on the sides of the road. Yep, A holes purposely ran over them. So as bad their efforts, at least they didn't just kill it.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
It is makes me so sad how divorced people have become from all of our fellow creatures. Knowing our seasons, what plants grow locally, the common behavior of animals, the importance of pollinators. My neighbors swerve and nervously eye my garden when visiting because a bumble bee is gathering nectar on a beautiful flower. But they know how to apply layers of artificial products on their body. It is amazing how many different birds spend time in our yard. Does anyone else notice? That poor misunderstood snapping turtle.

Add to that a lack of common sense.

I mean, even if one is well intentioned enough to try to move a turtle out of the road before it gets hit by a car, there obviousl comes a point at which the effort is detrimental. If they've got to beat the **** out of it just to get it out of the road, then they're clearly doing more damage than if they'd simply blocked traffic for a few minutes and let it cross on its own.

Similarly, there's a woodsy guy who I work with who is terrified of snapping turtles. Keep in mind he's also willing to catch snakes (including venomous ones, if he's being careful). And he once showed up at the back door of the establishment holding a large opossum that he caught on the premises. He was holding the thing while it was baring its inch long fangs while saying, "it's no big deal, I can catch them and handle them without any problem if I'm careful." One day I found a tiny little hatchling snapping turtle on the premises and he asked if he could hold it. And then he nervously asked, "it's not going to bite me, is it?"

Strange question to be asked from someone who has no problem grabbing a large opossum. Even if that baby turtle was going to bite him (which it almost certainly wasn't), exactly how much damage did he think could be inflicted by a 0.4 ounce turtle that is the size of a quarter?

On the other hand, I'd wager that blowing a turtle off of the road with a leaf blower probably WOULD hurt the turtle less than being run over by a car (unless they blew it onto the wrong side of the road and then it just wandered back into the road trying to get where it was going). But the point still stands. Use a little common sense. They've got gloves, just pick it up and carry it off the street.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Weekly, I see school board employees (mostly bus drivers) killing iguanas simply for wanting to bask in the morning and not yet warmed up enough to run very fast to get away. Beating them with broom handles.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Weekly, I see school board employees (mostly bus drivers) killing iguanas simply for wanting to bask in the morning and not yet warmed up enough to run very fast to get away. Beating them with broom handles.
Right. The green iguanas are an invasive species in Florida, although they have not quite yet earned the degree of "invasiveness" that the Burmese Pythons have! My daughter is an animal cop over there, and regularly has to rescue the iguanas from terrified or disgusted humans, even though the poor lizards are just minding their own business.

By the way, size does not seem to matter a lot of the time when it comes to fear or phobias of certain creatures. I see nothing to fear from a tiny frog, but my daughter won't even go into the same room if there is one in it at all. And here at my office, I am the one people call when an anole lizard is seen in the bathroom, as I have asked them please to call me before they kill it with the broom or spray it. There is just no accounting for phobia!