Rescued Baby TTBT - Need some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dover, New Hampshire
Hey guys, been a little while since we have been on here, both our girls (Ellie the redfoot tortoise and Izzy the special needs three-toed boxie) are doing great and growing fast!

So, the other day we were given a very small three-toed box turtle (~the size of a 50 cent piece) by a friend who had gotten two babies through LLL Reptiles (FYI not one of my favorite places but I didn't pick where he got them from lol). The other baby he has is doing great, eating, digging, exploring and doing all the things you would expect from a baby three-toe. However, the other little guy was not doing very well at all and our friend gave him to us to try and see if we can get him going again.

When we first got him he seemed to be fairly dehydrated, was still moving around and exploring but was unable (or unwilling) to open his eyes and had not been observed eating for a couple of weeks.

IMG_2488 by aja99, on Flickr

Since we got him home we have him set up in a 15qt tub with a peat/sphagnum/loose topsoil substrate misted regularly to keep up high humidity. The enclosure has a shallow water dish, feeding rocks and a cork bark hide that covers approximately 1/3rd of the tub so he has lots of covered space to hide out in. We have been giving him a warm water soak every day for at least 15 minutes. He gets UVB from an overhead lamp with a Zilla 25 UVB CFL (not the best I know and he will be switched over to a tub with a tube lamp soon) for about 10 hours a day. Ambient temperature in the room is around 80 during the day (heated snake room), with a moderate hot spot under the lamp of about 85, and does not go below 70 at night.

IMG_2492 by aja99, on Flickr

Since we got him home he has started opening both eyes, and is definitely exploring his enclosure regularly but still seems to be very listless. So far we have tried feeding him some finely chopped greens with every meal, which he has not shown much interest in, and have tried cantaloupe, shrimp (very small pieces), a couple of pinhead crickets, chopped nightcrawler (too large I know, getting some smaller worms and mealies tonight) and a mush made from mango crested gecko diet and blended nightcrawler. He always checks out the food but we still have not seen him eating.

So, I'm just looking for any and all tips that we could use to try and help this little guy out! We'd love to see him grow and thrive :D

IMG_2486 by aja99, on Flickr

This is one of him today with his eyes open! He still looks a little "squinty" though, like he's not fully opening his eyes for some reason.

IMG_2491 by aja99, on Flickr

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
He was being offered mealworms and phoenix worms regularly with occasional greens but my friend said he hasn't seen him eating anything for at least a couple of weeks.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I offer my babies very small superworms. They seem to go after wiggly things first. Then you can start adding in other things. Good luck! :)

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
dannel said:
Are his eyes swollen or just shut?

They do look a little swollen, when we first got them he did not look like he could open them at all, you could just kind of see the skin moving when he would try to blink. Since then he has opened both eyes, though he seems to keep his left eye closed most of the time still.

I'll try and get some macro shots of his eyes when we take him out to soak tonight with my good camera, trying to minimize unnecessary handling right now.

kimber_lee_314 said:
I offer my babies very small superworms. They seem to go after wiggly things first. Then you can start adding in other things. Good luck! :)

Cool! Going to try some waxworms and possibly some small mealworms tonight.

mariellen

5 Year Member
My hatchlings love frozen blood worms. Put a chunk in a small bowl with a little water like you would if soaking with good light over head and leave him in for a couple hours if need be. The first time I had to leave them in for awhile but after they realized they liked them they start biting at it frozen even. I have also tried frozen krill. They don't go after it as well but will eat it.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
If you soak him in warm water and his eyes still don't open, I would guess eye infection maybe ?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Might be good to try some Terramycin ointment in his eyes. I believe you can get this at feed stores and some online reptile supply sites.
What about adding some strained baby food (carrots, squash, sweet potato) to the soaking water? Maybe half a jar?

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
lynnedit said:
Might be good to try some Terramycin ointment in his eyes. I believe you can get this at feed stores and some online reptile supply sites.
What about adding some strained baby food (carrots, squash, sweet potato) to the soaking water? Maybe half a jar?

Ahhh ok that would probably be a good idea, maybe once we can get they eye issue worked out he will start going for his food more! I'll look around and see if I can find some Terramycin anywhere.

Is there a specific type of baby food that I should look for? Anything to avoid? We will pick some up this afternoon for his soak tonight!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Any brand is OK. Just the plain veggie, strained, and mix it into the warm water. There is not an exact ratio of water to baby food: since your soaking container is probably smaller, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 jar.

They get some when they drink, but can apparently absorb through the are of the cloaca as well.

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
lynnedit said:
Any brand is OK. Just the plain veggie, strained, and mix it into the warm water. There is not an exact ratio of water to baby food: since your soaking container is probably smaller, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 jar.

They get some when they drink, but can apparently absorb through the are of the cloaca as well.

Excellent, we will definitely give that a shot tonight! Thanks :D

Pameladale

5 Year Member
I was just wondering if its possible to breed a three toed box turtle and an ornate box turtle?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Pameladale said:
I was just wondering if its possible to breed a three toed box turtle and an ornate box turtle?

Hi and welcome! I hope you will go to the introduction section and make a new thread about what brings you here. As to your question, yes a three toed and ornate can cross. Happens a lot where their ranges over lap.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Pameladale said:

Hi and welcome! I hope you will go to the introduction section and make a new thread about what brings you here. As to your question, yes a three toed and ornate can cross. Happens a lot where their ranges over lap.

Oh thats awesome thank you!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Jacqui said:
Pameladale said:

Boxies intergrade and hybridize in many overlap areas. Is not unusual at all.

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
Well, we figured out that he loooooooves blood worms! He has eaten them with his soaks the last couple nights :D, hopefully once he gets some energy in him he will start going after his greens and fruits a bit more. Terramycin is on it's way and we will keep you updated on his progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.