Rescue

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
I live in Ohio. I am looking for information about starting a tortoise and box turtle rescue and rehab. Anyone have any info on what I will need for permits, or where to start? I have checked all the government sites, Oder, ectand can not find anything. I have some people willing to help me with grants, and becoming a non profit . Just can not find out what the state wants.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
One of the subjects you need answers for is how to become a LLC (limited liability corporation? Or company, I forget which the C in LLC stands for.) That's a prerequisite for tax exempt status, registering as a charitable organization (if applicable, but does make it easier to accept donations), etc. I think the LLC registration is usually at the state level, but the specific agency probably varies by state. (In Florida, it's in the Department of State.)

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
If the information about rescue/rehab isn't readily available online (and for whatever reason, it often isn't), contact the agency or agencies that deal with hunting / fishing / game / wildlife / captive wildlife. If you run into a road block there, try the State Veterinarian's office.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
If you list yourself as a rescue rehab people might expect that you are a reptile veterinarian. I don’t know if you are one or not. You will probably get many calls for car/turtle road injuries, many of which require large vet bills or for them to be euthanized. I myself, in the past have called my local animal shelter and volunteered housing rehab space for already treated torts. I’m not trying to be crass or uncaring but many people’s idea of a rescue rehab is different or undefined. Thank you for caring. We all[emoji173]️[emoji217]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cheryl: There's a difference between 'rescue' and 'refuge.' .If you set out to start a rescue this means you take in and care for unwanted, injured, lost and found turtles and tortoises. You keep them in quarantine pens for a length of time and evaluate them. When deemed healthy, and are eating well, you find homes for them. If you take your job seriously, you go to prospective homes and do a yard inspection, giving pointers when called for.

A refuge will take in those same turtles and tortoises, but will provide a home for the rest of its life.

Make sure you have space for quarantine before you start the process.