Aw man, how do I choose???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I was throwing around the idea of starting an actual legal dragon rescue, as I do love taking in, fixing up, and rehoming dragons.

But of course I'm also pursuing the breeding aspect of dragons, and raising up some gorgeous young ones to breed.

I was talking with someone from a BD group, and she said that if you want non-profit status for a rescue, you can't do any breeding on premises. If I want to do BOTH, then I can't pursue non-profit status, which means I can't apply for grants, donations, etc...

Dang it! How do I choose?!?! I put a lot of $$ into getting my breeding babies. And if I continue to pursue "rescues" withOUT the non-profit status, that'll be A LOT of money out of pocket.....

SHEESH! Why can't I just have the world, dang it?!?! :p

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
hmm... interesting predicament. maybe you can breed at home and find a local rescue that will allow you to help establish a dragon habitat for rescues there. they just have to be at separate physical places, right?

S

stells

I guess this is where you have to decide what is closer to your heart..

I know over here there are plenty of dragons about getting incorrect care and needing help..

I do have eggs incubating BUT its not something i want to do on a regular basis

Putting more and more dragons out there just adds to the problem.. and while we hope the babies go off to good homes you can never guarantee it will always be the case

At the moment they are very popular.. but as with anything this will soon not be the case and rescues will probably be flooded with them

These are of course just my opinions but i know the road i would go down as the rewards of seeing a sick, injured or unwanted animal, revived and in a good home counts more to me than adding more to the problem.

I already have friends who want some of my babies when they hatch.. but i won't be persuing the breeding route any further at this moment in time.

I hope this post doesn't sound like i am being funny.. as its really not meant too.. just my view :D

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
Devil's advocate here . . .

How would they know? Use different names for your rescue and breeding ops, different PO boxes . . . voila!

It's not like IRS will drop by EVER!! I have a friend who went through getting approved for a 501(c)(3) and it was all via email and fax. Never saw a live person and they used LegalZoom to get it done. Worked great.

And most folks don't know the law so if they come by for either reason they probably won't know or care to blow the whistle. Of course you can always keep that separate too.

NOT that I am advocating breaking the law but then is this really such a bad things in light of other law breaking activities??

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kel,

If everything was on an equal footing which one gives you more joy and pleasure? By that I mean, if the babies you hope to raise have to be given away the same as you would be giving away the "rescue" animals and as such you won't be making any money from them, would raising them be as much of a pleasure to you as rehoming ones?

Do you get more fulfillment and satisfaction from taking a malnourished animal and bringing it up to a healthy weight/condition or is there more satisfaction/fulfillment with having an animal you raised bless you with eggs, then those eggs miraculously turning into hatchlings?

As mentioned before you might try "getting away" with doing both, but I can warn you that someday somebody will be jealous and turned ya in. It's one of those things we humans seem to always have to do, spoil fun and enjoyment for others.

Last question area...why do you want to go the "legal dragon rescue" way? Other then the money, is there a real reason to do it?

Seems you can have both your cake and eat it too, but only if you are willing to bite the bullet and lose a few possible benefits. You would just be joining the popular ranks of "backyard" reptile rescues, who work their miracles from their own pockets and hearts, just as you have already started doing.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
LOL redkim, believe me, I thought of that! But if it ever became an issue, it'd be so much harder to prove that I'm running an honest business AND an honest non-profit, when it ws done dishonestly!

Jacqui, the reason I want to get 501c3 status is so I could apply for grants and donations. I think I could get donations from some of the area petstores, which would help offset some of the cost. Also, the local Animart lets another retpile rescue in the area set up a table during special events, to promote adoptions, and then I'd be able to do that too...

Yes I could do the breeding and do rescue work without getting licensed... but then I miss out on some of those benefits....

Well I will wait and see what happens after these first two clutches (from a dragon that I did NOT breed) hatch... see how it feels to raise some babies, and then go from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.