RES with Malayan box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Hi, i'm not very familiar with box turtles... a friend offered one to me, he/she is as big as my RES... can I combine them?

thanks!!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
No you can't. Completely different keeping requirements. Lots of other reasons,too.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Unfortunately, you'd need two separate setups.

A box turtle is almost completely terrestrial, and I would advise against an 'aqua'rium for him. They have much different needs than the highly aquatic RES.

They'd also eat completely different food, require different heat/humidity.

Your RES's aquatic needs are pretty much the polar opposite of the Box Turts. They need more of a Tortoise esque setup.

Juhan78

5 Year Member
I know that it´s not a good idea to keep together this species, but I do.
Not whit a RES but with yellow eared slider (Trachemys scripta scripta a special one born without eyes :( but really heathy ;) )
I keep them together since I bougth them in 2000 and I have no problem with them. It´s really diferent diet and I give them diferent diets (pellets, fruits, vegetables, fishes, meat, worms...). Now I have 3 Malayan box turtles (2 males and a female) and the only problem is keep together the female with the males.

Bye,

Juan

Sorry for my English

Attachments

• Trachemys scripta scripta - Teri 46.jpg
    Trachemys scripta scripta - Teri 46.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 61

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Juhan78 said:
I know that it´s not a good idea to keep together this species, but I do.
Not whit a RES but with yellow eared slider (Trachemys scripta scripta a special one born without eyes :( but really heathy ;) )
I keep them together since I bougth them in 2000 and I have no problem with them. It´s really diferent diet and I give them diferent diets (pellets, fruits, vegetables, fishes, meat, worms...). Now I have 3 Malayan box turtles (2 males and a female) and the only problem is keep together the female with the males.

Bye,

Juan

Sorry for my English

Hi Juan:

I'm very interested in learning more about your turtles and tortoises. Won't you start a new thread and tell us a bit more? Especially the one born with no eyes. That's a very interesting picture you posted, but we don't want to hi-jack Geek in Pink's thread.

Juhan78

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I'm very interested in learning more about your turtles and tortoises. Won't you start a new thread and tell us a bit more? Especially the one born with no eyes. That's a very interesting picture you posted, but we don't want to hi-jack Geek in Pink's thread.
OK. I will.

Only say that my Malayan box are really acuatic.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Box turtles do quite well in a semi aquatic environment. RES do better in a aquatic environment. Personally I would keep them separate.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I agree with NOT housing them together. Malasians box turtles need more of a 50/50% water land ratio. Sliders need a lot more water.

Status
Not open for further replies.