res diet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
i just inherited 2 red-eared sliders from my son. i'm feeding them mazuri every day, but wondered what else i should be feeding along with that. we are getting ready to move them from an indoor aquarium to a 300+ gallon outdoor set up. just wondering if there are other foods besides commercial diet that i can feed to them and hadn't really found anything on here except the video about commercial diets.
thanks.

Shredder

5 Year Member
I feed mine romain lettuce ,cilantro, carrot, deli meats (no beef), shrimp & fish on occasion. I believe a variety of foods makes for a happier & healthy turtle. Meats are offered less often then greens of course since sliders & most fresh water turtles become more omnivorous as they get older , hope this helps this is just how I feed my turtles. I too have them feeding on Mazuri as they're main diet.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
How large are these sliders? I'd say if they were large enough to move to a 300 gallon, the. Supplementing their diet with animal protein is not necessary. You do need to supplement with plants though. Water lettuce and hyacinth can be great and will grow in your pond easily, creating security for the turtles, as well as food. Otherwise, the greens you use for your Stogmochelys and Centrochelys would be perfect.

TJ1999

5 Year Member
I read online that baby res don't eat, but you should supply vegetation, is that true?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
You read that they don't eat?

Sometimes it can take time for them to eat after hatching, or after being moved to a new enclosure, but that is not necessarily the case here, depending on whether or not these are hatchlings or not.

It's not a bad idea to offer vegetation to hatchlings, but sliders are mostly carnivorous at that stage, so you probably have a better chance with animal protein than plant matter at that point.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks for all of the advice. i'm definitely checking out the water lettuce and hyacinth. that'd be a great addition to the "pond". thanks!

Anthony P said:
How large are these sliders? I'd say if they were large enough to move to a 300 gallon, the. Supplementing their diet with animal protein is not necessary. You do need to supplement with plants though. Water lettuce and hyacinth can be great and will grow in your pond easily, creating security for the turtles, as well as food. Otherwise, the greens you use for your Stogmochelys and Centrochelys would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.