Can a Red- eared Slider eat on land, or does it have to be underwater?

JWineastKY

Location (City and/or State)
Powell County, Kentucky
I bought two red- eared sliders back in the mid summer, but hadn't really noticed either one of them eating.
I wondered why they wouldn't seem to eat, and have been trying to find information out there on the web in general, but much of that is contradictory.
So, could some please tell me: Can a slider eat out of the water, or do they HAVE to eat underwater as I've read from scattered sources? I sure don't want my little guys (or girls) to starve to death!
Please help me get them to eat!

Thanks,
JW

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
I had moved them into a vivarium- type setting, thinking it would be better for them. I just didn't realize that there was such a thing as a turtle that needed to be underwater in order to swallow! That thought never crossed my mind! I was always used to pet box turtles in the past, and they didn't need to be underwater in order to eat....

Daveyhimself

5 Year Member
Apopka, FL
Red-ears are pretty hardy, I doubt they were really bothered if it was a short time in the vivarium.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You will sometimes see them trying to cross the road, or basking in the sun and they are almost always completely covered in algae. A testament to their lives in the water. However, I didn't realize they couldn't eat on land. Something new. Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Turtles don't have salivary glands..therefore it is impossible for them to eat while not in the water...the water works the same as saliva does it tortoise.....

How long have you had the turtles drydocked? did they have access to water dish during that time?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have put them back in their aquarium, again. But I need a way to raise the water temperature so they will be able to eat. I'm already solidly attached to them, and don't wanna lose them!....

You can purchase a heater for the water.....until then, you can offer a basking bulb for day and a night bulb for night.....

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Turtles don't have salivary glands..therefore it is impossible for them to eat while not in the water...the water works the same as saliva does it tortoise.....

How long have you had the turtles drydocked? did they have access to water dish during that time?
For about 2-3 months. I did see the larger of the two eat redworms during that time, though. And, yes, they always had access to a full water dish.