Reputable Leopard Breeders

Detach

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois
Hey everyone, as some of you may know, I am getting a baby leopard tortoise in the future. I was wondering who are the best leopard tortoise breeders on here?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know about "best" but I raise about 60 or so leopard babies a year, and I start them right too. My tortoise partner, @Will , has over 20 of them right now to sell. He's in San Diego, but he ships anywhere in the U.S. You can see pictures of the babies on Facebook at Kapidolo Farms.

Detach

Chicago, Illinois
I don't know about "best" but I raise about 60 or so leopard babies a year, and I start them right too. My tortoise partner, @Will , has over 20 of them right now to sell. He's in San Diego, but he ships anywhere in the U.S. You can see pictures of the babies on Facebook at Kapidolo Farms.
Are we talking well started hatchlings or actual baby hatchlings?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. These are babies that hatched last month and are now in San Diego being cared for using the moist, humid method. Will doesn't sell them until he's sure they're eating and getting along fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any long time member of this forum you won't go wrong with. I personally prefer a breeder of just a few different species and does it more for fun and hobby then someone making a business of it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Could you quantify that? What age or weight is the cuttoff? When they hatch over a period of several weeks, the first to hatch are bigger, but from the same clutch.

If you are local (no shipping) I sell them at a few weeks old preferring as do most people buying to pick out larger individuals., if shipping is involved I like to wait until the are 8 to ten weeks old. This ensures that they are defecating from food they ate, and not metabolites from retain yolk sack. I look to see small bits of grass in their poop so I know the GI track is working from one end to the other. A little dot of red sharpie tells me who those guys are.

I'll end up holding some back as well, so in about ten month to a year I can have some that are four to 6 inches in length available. Right now the 24 neonates are consuming about a 2 ounces of food per tortoise per day. I feed so there is always some left over.

Here is a 30 second video of some clambering around and eating.

I put them in shallow water dishes every morning, they sit or crawl out as they like. The floor space 3 feet by six feet with several hides. Temp ranges from 83 to 98, all ambient (no heat 'spot' = no shell desiccation). The food tiles get warmer yet due to being directly under the light. Humidity is 85 to 99RH%. They have two T5 HO fixtures with ZooMed 10.0 UVB tubes.

The diet is never less than four or five kinds of greens (grocery store), often a much higher diversity. I mix in summer and winter squash, opuntia cactus, a few kinds of blossoms, and dried or fresh mulberry, plantian, hibsicus, and alfalfa/bermuda pellets. They get Vionate added to their diet most days, on those that I don't add Vionate I use cuttle bone scrapping or Calcium carbonate with D3.

Detach

Chicago, Illinois
Thank you guys but I found a local breeder only about 45 minutes from my house and I would feel much better inspecting the tortoise in person. I also like it better because I won't have to ship him. I am going to pick him up tomorrow. I'll post pictures once I get him

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thank you guys but I found a local breeder only about 45 minutes from my house and I would feel much better inspecting the tortoise in person. I also like it better because I won't have to ship him. I am going to pick him up tomorrow. I'll post pictures once I get him

Did you purchase your new leopard?