Repurposing chameleon cage

ariez189

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello everyone!

My chameleon passed and I am looking to repurpose it for a redfoot tortoise, but need some guidance. The cage is 2x2x4. My idea was to lay it down so the front door would be on the top. The wood is water sealed, but I know screen is not ideal for the sides.

I also have everything from my chameleon: fogger, T5 HO fixture 24”, Arcadia 6% UVB T5 HO bulb, grow light for plants, and dome heating light with dimmer. I also have a ceramic fixture with a blacklight bulb.

Based on these, what would I need differently for the redfoot?

I have added a picture of the cage for reference.

Thank you!

Attachments

• BCC15D3E-A0FB-4C34-84B5-A3DF0DAD6F5B.png
    BCC15D3E-A0FB-4C34-84B5-A3DF0DAD6F5B.png
    913.6 KB · Views: 7

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
2' x 4' is pretty small for a redfoot. If you want to reuse the chameleon cage, you could use it as part of the new tortoise enclosure and add more space on to it, maybe using the current door as the point where you connect the rest of the new enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot need a closed chamber enclosure. Like a terrarium.
A mesh enclosure will never be satisfactory no matter the size.
The good new is that your lighting sound suitable.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh yes, I second Zeropilots post. No open mesh enclosures. Closed chamber high humidity is needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone!

My chameleon passed and I am looking to repurpose it for a redfoot tortoise, but need some guidance. The cage is 2x2x4. My idea was to lay it down so the front door would be on the top. The wood is water sealed, but I know screen is not ideal for the sides.

I also have everything from my chameleon: fogger, T5 HO fixture 24”, Arcadia 6% UVB T5 HO bulb, grow light for plants, and dome heating light with dimmer. I also have a ceramic fixture with a blacklight bulb.

Thank you!
A tall cage made for an arboreal lizard isn't going to work well for a terrestrial tortoise. The screen is a problem as you won't be able to maintain the correct heat and humidity, and the size is only good for a small hatchling, even when the cage is laid on its side.

If you want a tortoise, (and who doesn't???), get a proper tortoise enclosure for it.

Start here:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello everyone!

Thank you!
If the cage would allow being laid on its side it MIGHT be ok. You're looking for a larger footprint. The height doesn't give a land dweller any moving around room.