Replacement for lettuce

Status
Not open for further replies.

erica anne

5 Year Member
Every now and then I feed Franklin romaine lettuce as a treat. But to day I gave him the inside of a prickly pear and he LOVED it. Just realized that it would be a great replacement for lettuce because it is so much better for him! What do you think? I would still give him some lettuce because we all deserve a treat every now and then, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Romaine is not that bad to give as long as it is part of a varied diet. What else do you feed?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
No it would not be a good replacement for romaine. Right. Now you could be feeding spring mix, collard greens, turnip greens, aruglia, mustard greens.....etc.

erica anne

5 Year Member
Grass
Dandelion
Carrot tops
And (obviously) prickly pear<-- it's just been a while since I have picked it
He also get little grass pellets like once a month because he really likes him and I want him to be able to have little treats

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to feed more variety. Like the things mainey34 listed. Does he go outside to graze and eat grass or are you growing it inside? If he's grazing a lot out side then the grocery store stuff is not needed, but more stuff grown outside should be added. If he is inside, then a lot more variety is needed.

erica anne

5 Year Member
He goes outside everyday for about 3-4 hours. I don't know the names of every weed out there but he sure does like them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
erica anne said:
He goes outside everyday for about 3-4 hours. I don't know the names of every weed out there but he sure does like them.

Then that's the best food for him is natural grazing. A piece of romaine or prickly pear once a month or so as a treat is fine. You could also add some Mazuri about once a week, just a little each time.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I see that there is another thread about prickly pear, Tom states. Every 2-3 weeks. Personally, i think thats too much calcium. But i guess that would be good too..

Status
Not open for further replies.