Rehoming my Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Hi all!
I’ve learned so much through this forum and I’m so so thankful! After having Tonks for about a year and a half, we’ve thought about what we’ve been able to provide for her and what we feel we can provide going forward. We love her so much and have really cared for her as best as we could, and I believe she has been healthy and happy up to this point! But, shes outgrown the space we have for her and we’ve been trying to get creative about how to build her something bigger and better, but ultimately have reached the conclusion that rehoming her will be the best thing for her health to give her the best life possible.
All that said, I posted something in a Facebook page for rehoming tortoises and have had a ton of people interested. My goal is to send her to wherever will be best for her. So, I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to ask the possible future owners to narrow it down. I’m also curious about what people think about shipping… it sounds like a terrible thing to ship a tortoise and my goal is to try to drive her wherever she’d be going, but I have had some people from far away show interest, and I don’t want to disregard them; I live in Vermont where there is really limited outdoor time for her and I’d almost rather her be in a warmer climate, more conducive to her needs. Another question I have, which I believe I already know the answer to, is could tortoises of the same species share an enclosure? I believe from what I’ve learned here that this is not good or healthy for them and they should always have their own space. I ask because there have been a few people send me pictures of their enclosures which have multiple torts living together. I think I should rule those out but I want to make sure I didn’t make that one up.
Sorry for the long post. Hope someone can help give me some guidance so Tonks can live her best life!!!
Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 391E640E-6911-4ECB-B034-7B54661B1CE3.jpeg
    391E640E-6911-4ECB-B034-7B54661B1CE3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • B8428FEB-2E29-4EF1-B4B6-28865131B60B.jpeg
    B8428FEB-2E29-4EF1-B4B6-28865131B60B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 08DE5F60-B020-4C4F-918D-FE79B6964F5B.jpeg
    08DE5F60-B020-4C4F-918D-FE79B6964F5B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • C56B9E53-FF83-4400-B1C1-0F28F1634D43.jpeg
    C56B9E53-FF83-4400-B1C1-0F28F1634D43.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 78340E0F-4D0F-40AE-B11C-FAC4821370F3.jpeg
    78340E0F-4D0F-40AE-B11C-FAC4821370F3.jpeg
    926.4 KB · Views: 17

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ask for pictures of the enclosure they have for her?
Ask them what the temps, humidity, diet, etc and RF requires.
Ask if they have other tortoises and what kind.
Ask for pictures of the set up of those tortoises.
If they can't answer you right away or with wrong answers, they might not be the right fit.
Best to talk face to face or on the phone to any you are thinking about considering

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ask for pictures of the enclosure they have for her?
Ask them what the temps, humidity, diet, etc and RF requires.
Ask if they have other tortoises and what kind.
Ask for pictures of the set up of those tortoises.
If they can't answer you right away or with wrong answers, they might not be the right fit.
Best to talk face to face or on the phone to any you are thinking about considering
Excellent information there!

greenjeans

Seaside
maybe don't rule out the folks with multiple torts, I have 2 RF's that have been living together since I got them, after 2 years watching them I can say they like each other, not all the time...who does...but in my opinion they seem to be happy, its also given me a chance to see that torts too have different personalities, habits, diet preferences, heck one even likes a warmer tub..I posted a thread about my larger enclosure build & its worked well...are you sure you cant find a place for her...you'll miss her

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
maybe don't rule out the folks with multiple torts, I have 2 RF's that have been living together since I got them, after 2 years watching them I can say they like each other, not all the time...who does...but in my opinion they seem to be happy, its also given me a chance to see that torts too have different personalities, habits, diet preferences, heck one even likes a warmer tub..I posted a thread about my larger enclosure build & its worked well...are you sure you cant find a place for her...you'll miss her
Tortoises don't like each other. They should not be in pairs unless they live on a big piece of land with lots of sight barriers.
What people don't understand and likely can't notice is the stress they are under always having another tortoise in their space.
A group can live together in a big enough space, but even then it has to be the right combo.

greenjeans

Seaside
I appreciate your experience but on this ill go my own way, believe me my interest is in there health & success & that's exactly what i'm seeing.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am also looking for a Redfoot to adopt...I'm in Oregon, Tonk would live in a tort shed with a private outside enclosure.
100_0295.JPG
You can ask most keepers here about me and get honest answers. I am an experienced tort keeper. This is Houdini...I adopted him out and regret it daily...100_0306.JPG
the tort shed...100_5457.JPG
lol...hard to eat snails...100_2758.JPG

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am also looking for a Redfoot to adopt...I'm in Oregon, Tonk would live in a tort shed with a private outside enclosure.
View attachment 354995
You can ask most keepers here about me and get honest answers. I am an experienced tort keeper. This is Houdini...I adopted him out and regret it daily...View attachment 354996
the tort shed...View attachment 354997
lol...hard to eat snails...View attachment 354998
Wow. Paradise of a place for Tonk, I hope you can get him Maggie!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry you have to rehome your tort - sounds like he has a good home.
I would think FB is probably one of the worst places to rehome any animal. You have to be careful people aren't just after free torts to sell on and make profit so you never know where they'll end up. Sadly some people have been known to join here just to do that :(
I would chose Maggie to guarantee a good home and so that you can keep in touch to see how he's doing.
Maybe Ed would also be interested? @ZEROPILOT ? Or could at least advise you on how you could change things to keep him.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sorry you have to rehome your tort - sounds like he has a good home.
I would think FB is probably one of the worst places to rehome any animal. You have to be careful people aren't just after free torts to sell on and make profit so you never know where they'll end up. Sadly some people have been known to join here just to do that :(
I would chose Maggie to guarantee a good home and so that you can keep in touch to see how he's doing.
Maybe Ed would also be interested? @ZEROPILOT ? Or could at least advise you on how you could change things to keep him.

@Maggie3fan would also be my #1 choice. She's good people!
I'd avoid FACEBOOK like the plague. There will be many high quality, verified and excellent keepers right here

Last edited:
Vermont
View attachment 354995
You can ask most keepers here about me and get honest answers. I am an experienced tort keeper. This is Houdini...I adopted him out and regret it daily...View attachment 354996
the tort shed...View attachment 354997
lol...hard to eat snails...View attachment 354998
Beautiful!!
I would love for you to take her, I just really feel not good about shipping her. I'm sorry :(
If there was any other way, she'd be yours!

Vermont
@Maggie3fan would also be my #1 choice. She's good people!
I'd avoid FACEBOOK like the plague. There will be many high quality, verified and excellent keepers right here
Thanks for the advice. I am being really thoughtful about asking questions and I definitely won't just send her anywhere. The only reason we're re-homing her is to get her into a better space, and believe me, she is well cared-for here... we just don't have enough space for her anymore..
I would love to send her out to Maggie's space in Oregon, I just really feel not good about shipping a living creature who I care for so deeply!!

Vermont
Tortoises don't like each other. They should not be in pairs unless they live on a big piece of land with lots of sight barriers.
What people don't understand and likely can't notice is the stress they are under always having another tortoise in their space.
A group can live together in a big enough space, but even then it has to be the right combo.
This is what I thought based on what I've learned here.
I have someone interested in adopting her who seems to have a really nice set up and is knowledgeable, but already has a redfoot and they would be homed together. She told me she did a lot of research and that redfoots are social and this should not be a prob/lem, but I'm under the impression that it is not ideal.
So.. sounds like I'm correct about this one.. not the person to choose?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I shipped a very large Russian to a member on the forum. It went well. Maybe you have seen posts of Persephone, owned by Jamie Sheffield. Maybe think about it shipping her to a good home. My opinion. Good luck, sorry that you need to give her up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the advice. I am being really thoughtful about asking questions and I definitely won't just send her anywhere. The only reason we're re-homing her is to get her into a better space, and believe me, she is well cared-for here... we just don't have enough space for her anymore..
I would love to send her out to Maggie's space in Oregon, I just really feel not good about shipping a living creature who I care for so deeply!!
I also just don't ship.
It's why I didn't try to take your tort in myself.
I mean plenty of people do it. And most of the stories are successful. But I'd only do it if I absolutely had to.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have shipped turtles/tortoises over the years. Now there is a company called "shipyourreptiles.com". They are super professional, they send the shipper the box and equipment, and set the trip up with FedEx. Todays shipping is over night and easy. I recently received a RedFoot FedEx and the shipper used the same stuff as shipyourreptiles and arrived hungry and curious. Personally, I would not hesitate to ship today.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
For what its worth, i would also very much be against shipping - the idea of it sounds horrendous so me (I know people do it, but to each their own). That said, if you are looking for a great home for a rescue, I think you couldn't do better- and finding good (much less great) rescue homes is hard. So, in the grand scheme of things, could be worth it in this case...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have shipped turtles/tortoises over the years. Now there is a company called "shipyourreptiles.com". They are super professional, they send the shipper the box and equipment, and set the trip up with FedEx. Todays shipping is over night and easy. I recently received a RedFoot FedEx and the shipper used the same stuff as shipyourreptiles and arrived hungry and curious. Personally, I would not hesitate to ship today.
You are one of the few people I would feel good about re homing one of my RF to.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You are one of the few people I would feel good about re homing one of my RF to.
Well...I seriously appreciate the thought....I have very recently received my very own RF!!! Small, 5"scl...I haven't said anything as my laptop doesn't have anymore room for pictures....so I need to figure out what to do...then I'll be able to post some pictures