Is my Tortoise a boy or girl.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
Is that picture specific to Leopards? Based on that it would be a girl however the tail says something else. Also that shell morphology varies a lot from species to species as well as subspecies and whether the shell grew normally without pyramiding or any MDB problems.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Is that picture specific to Leopards? Based on that it would be a girl however the tail says something else. Also that shell morphology varies a lot from species to species as well as subspecies and whether the shell grew normally without pyramiding or any MDB problems.
For the tortoise family. They say the females are larger than the males because they bear eggs. The males have long front nails for gripping on a female's back. Recently, a tortoise expert sold me a male hatching.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
For the tortoise family. They say the females are larger than the males because they bear eggs. The males have long front nails for gripping on a female's back. Recently, a tortoise expert sold me a male hatching.

Your teachers are lacking in every statement. Your hatchling could have "possibly" been incubated for male but cannot know until grown. As just 2 examples males in Galapagos tortoises are bigger, Forest Hingeback tortoises males are bigger. For that matter I believe Sulcata boys are bigger as well. Some water turtle males have longer front nails for "tickling" the girls during courtship but not gripping. Tortoises don't have any long nails in nature as they're worn down walking on or digging in the ground when ever active and their front feet generally do not have the same flexibility as most water turtles so cannot grip that way.

Stick around awhile and do some reading of different Tortoise species elsewhere and you'll see how full of hot air they are.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
So we rescued a leopard tortoise back in January. “She” was still somewhat small. We thought from a few things we read online that it was a girl. Now that we’ve had “her” for 9 months she has grown by leaps and bounds...to me it looks more like a boy from what internet pictures show...but I’m no expert at all and was wanting advice from fellow tortoise owners. What is you opinion? One pic is just to show “her” off cause we think she’s super cool. The other is for helping to figure out if we need to stop calling her Roxy and switch to Rocky. Lol

View attachment 307277View attachment 307278
Welcome to the forum?
It looks like a boy to me too, but I’m not an expert. We rehomed a leopard this past April. She’s about three and her previous owner was told she was a girl. Here are pics you could look at for comparison to yours, ( if mine really is a girl). Mine might still be too young.

Attachments

• 862674AE-DC11-4D52-B001-6D79101256BA.jpeg
    862674AE-DC11-4D52-B001-6D79101256BA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 950DB81F-F20F-4C4C-8F7E-BFFA7F7DA350.jpeg
    950DB81F-F20F-4C4C-8F7E-BFFA7F7DA350.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: Ink

Aequor

Europe
So we rescued a leopard tortoise back in January. “She” was still somewhat small. We thought from a few things we read online that it was a girl. Now that we’ve had “her” for 9 months she has grown by leaps and bounds...to me it looks more like a boy from what internet pictures show...but I’m no expert at all and was wanting advice from fellow tortoise owners. What is you opinion? One pic is just to show “her” off cause we think she’s super cool. The other is for helping to figure out if we need to stop calling her Roxy and switch to Rocky. Lol

View attachment 307277View attachment 307278
Since it has such a large opening for the tail and the scute endings I'd say it's a female. For male I'd expect a small opening: 1601657416810.png