Refrigerated Food

Altah

Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
Hey guys I just had a quick question. I usually make BTs chow (Mazuri, ZooMed Grassland, Herbal Hay, Critical Care, Repashy, Mixed Grass Hay) in the morning and keep the other half in the fridge during the day feeding it that night. I just wanted to make sure that feeding colder foods wasn't going to cause any issues. Thanks all!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I generally whip up the whole weeks worth of Mazuri and greens in a food processor.
Then place a spoonful or so next to each days food.
The whole things sits in the 'fridge in a covered TUPPERWARE type bowl.
It isn't very cold and doesn't stay cold long once it leaves the fridge.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You know...I've never given that any consideration, but you may be onto something there. We worry about our tortoises' core temperatures getting up there where they can digest their food, then we feed them cold food from the fridge. Sort of defeats our purpose, no?

I chop up a whole bunch of various weeds, grasses and greens and save it in the fridge in a covered Tupperware bowl (to feed the babies). It usually lasts about 3 days. Now you've given me something to ponder. It wouldn't be difficult to load up several feeding tiles when I first get up in the morning and leave them sitting on the kitchen counter for an hour or so until I've finished my morning ablutions.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Altah

New Mexico
Haha I know it wasn't really something I thought about either until I was watch him eat last night, I haven't noticed any different behaviors or change in feces etc doing this. It almost seems like he likes dinner the most but really I think he just likes being fed ;)