Reeves turtles

DanH44

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse NY
I have 2 reeves turtles in a large tank, I would like to add another turtle. Is there any other type of turtle with comparable size and temperament that would blend well? My two reeves have great personalities(for turtles).

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I have 2 reeves turtles in a large tank, I would like to add another turtle. Is there any other type of turtle with comparable size and temperament that would blend well? My two reeves have great personalities(for turtles).
That's what I've heard about Reeves turtles, that they have great personalities. I read up on them from time to time, but I haven't acquired one (yet). They've been called the "golden retriever of the aquatic turtle set."

I don't have clear answers for you, just considerations from my own thought process. ?

There's a risk of pathogen transmission with each new turtle added to an enclosure. Likewise, any new turtle added to an enclosure would be susceptible to any pathogens carried by the existing residents (who may be asymptomatic or more resistant to what's already in their environment). There are ways to reduce risk, factoring in the sources of the turtles, whether they exist in the same region in nature, and making sure to quarantine.

Where did you get your turtles from? How long have you had them? Are they full grown? Breeding size? Do you know for sure if they're male or female? How do they get along currently? How big is the tank?

From what I've read, Mauremys species are known to hybridize easily with related species. So having different species in the same enclosure might not prevent unintended hatchlings.

DanH44

Syracuse NY
I got them from the turtle source, they’re almost 2 years old. I know 1 is definitely a male, maybe both. They have shown me, seem to get along just fine. They’re in a 4 breeder tank.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
If both turtles are male, they may not get along as well when they hit sexual maturity. If one is male and one is female, you might have to watch how the male behaves.

I have two female three-striped mud turtles (Kinosternon baurii) that I got as hatchlings from The Turtle Source about 2.5 years ago (at the expo in Daytona). They live together in a 40 breeder tank with the water level just under 5 inches. K. baurii are one of the smallest turtles available, and the species has a reputation for getting along well together when there's more than one of them in a tank. My girls get along well 99 percent of the time. A while back, I considered getting another one (same species), but I didn't think they'd appreciate another roommate. Right now there's enough room for them to get away from each other. I don't think that would still be the case if they got another roommate.

The following year I got two hatchling spotted turtles, again from The Turtle Source. I asked Marc whether I should ever consider housing the mud turtles and spotted turtles together down the road, when they were all full size. He told me NO, because the spotteds would likely get their tails nipped.

It can be difficult to find Reeves turtles with naturally long, un-nipped tails. If yours have unblemished tails, you may want to factor that in, too.