Redfoots vs Mosquitos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
So, I live in South Texas, and we are notorious for heat, humidity and Mosquitos. My new yearling Redfoots seem to love the heat and humidity in their shaded enclosure, however I worry that the Mosquitos may become bothersome for them. All my web research has turned up is articles related to Mosquitos threatening Galapagos Tortoises, but nothing these guys size. They tend to bury themselves pretty well at night, when the Mosquitos are most active.

Just looking for others who have dealt with a similar geographic situation and if your torts handled it fine or what you did to help them. Mine live in an enclosure that has 1/4" mesh on top, but the Mosquitos can obviously get through that if they were so enclined.

Thanks for any advice.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
As far as I know...

'Skeeters specialize- the ones that hit you and me won't bother cold-blooded animals, but there are those that specialize in cold-blooded species... however, for the most part, they do not seem to be a big deal.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
That makes me feel a little better. They bother the hell outta me, so I just want the torts to be comfy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are mosquito granules repellent on the market that work really good. You spread them out around the area your in. You could spread them around the outside of the torts area, making sure non get into their enclosure. You can also spread it around the whole outline of your yard. It doesn't last a real long time and once it rains it isn't any good at all but they do work for a short time. Might be something to look into.

Status
Not open for further replies.