Anyone keep Redfoots in Arizona or the Southwest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I've had a few redfoots for the last 2 years and I live in Phoenix. It's a struggle to keep the humidity up. I have a reptile room for my redfoots filled with plants, which I mist down as much down as possible. The humidity ranges from 45-55%. I bought a humidifier, which only raised the humidity to 60%.

Anyone in Arizona or the southwestern states with hot, dry climate have some things that have worked for them?

A lot of tortoise species thrive in our climate, but it's a lot of work to keep the tropical species. One good thing is that there is plenty of cactus everywhere for the tortoises to eat.

I follow Terry Kilgore's feeding regime, except I add more cactus into the diet. There hasn't really been any pyramiding(one exception is a redfoot I purchased that already had pyramiding), despite summers of 100 degree heat and 5% humidity.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Hey "bear"!

Whenever we take them from their "natural" flora we have challenges that require extra time and expensive. I run out of "season" [ when mine nest ].. so I have a building that I have insulated and have to heat and use a "warm-air" humidifier in!

Add extra "water/soaking" dishes.. and as long as they aren't "crying" all of the time they will be o.k.

Remember the cactus is probably high in 'carbs' which is fine for the redfoots.. so treat them as 'fruit' in their diet.

Keep up the 'regime' and spray your guys "'til they drip" often...

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.