redfoots and mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
My last trip to the grocery store I picked up a container of fresh mushrooms and black raspberries for my little guys for on their fruit/veggie day. I figure I'll keep trying two different things. When one combination runs out, try another. Well anyways I found out what their favorite food is by far. It's mushrooms. They are normally timid and hide a lot, but just now when I put some cut up mushroom pieces on their plate one came almost full speed out of the hide. The rest were starting to peak out. It started munching down as I was still sprinkling calcium dust on the shrooms. Then I changed the water dish out and it just kept going, undisturbed by my hand inches away. This was after they ate a big pile of lawn greens and hibiscus flowers for the past two days.

Last week I put what I consider a lot of mushrooms on their plate plus about 4 black raspberries. Only one raspberry was touched, but all the mushrooms were gone. I'm going to try to get a video in 3 more days when fruit/veggie day comes around again.

Does anyone else's redfoots or cherry heads show this much interest in mushrooms? I was kind of taken by surprise at first, but then I thought about it a little more. In the wild they probably spend the majority of the time as hatchlings buried in leaf litter and mushrooms/fungus are probably a big part of their diet.

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
redfoot7 said:
Does anyone else's redfoots or cherry heads show this much interest in mushrooms? I was kind of taken by surprise at first, but then I thought about it a little more. In the wild they probably spend the majority of the time as hatchlings buried in leaf litter and mushrooms/fungus are probably a big part of their diet.

My 5-7 month old red foot doesn't seem to like mushrooms that much. She'll eat a few pieces that I cut. She's mostly interested in hibiscus flowers and mangos.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
feline8 said:
redfoot7 said:

My 5-7 month old red foot doesn't seem to like mushrooms that much. She'll eat a few pieces that I cut. She's mostly interested in hibiscus flowers and mangos.

Mine really like hibiscus flowers as well. I'd have to say that triggers the second biggest feeding response out of them. As well as dandelions and hosta flowers.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
mine likes mushrooms but he loves hibiscus! My recomendations are to cut back on the amount of mushrooms you feed them.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
Well I'm just about out of them, so I'll be switching to something else. Probably strawberries and cantaloupe. I'm hungry for some myself lol.

Another food they liked a lot that I found kind of odd was fresh corn off the cob. I only fed it twice though, mainly because I wasn't sure how good it was for them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mine are not real thrilled with white/button mushrooms, but really like the brown/baby portabellas. They would probably REALLY love oyster 'shrooms!

dabayliss

5 Year Member
All ten of ours LOVE mushrooms; it is one of the foods we use to teach them to forage - scatter them all around the place - they will get hunted down ...

starfield

5 Year Member
redfoot7 said:
My last trip to the grocery store I picked up a container of fresh mushrooms and black raspberries for my little guys for on their fruit/veggie day. I figure I'll keep trying two different things. When one combination runs out, try another. Well anyways I found out what their favorite food is by far. It's mushrooms. They are normally timid and hide a lot, but just now when I put some cut up mushroom pieces on their plate one came almost full speed out of the hide. The rest were starting to peak out. It started munching down as I was still sprinkling calcium dust on the shrooms. Then I changed the water dish out and it just kept going, undisturbed by my hand inches away. This was after they ate a big pile of lawn greens and hibiscus flowers for the past two days.

Last week I put what I consider a lot of mushrooms on their plate plus about 4 black raspberries. Only one raspberry was touched, but all the mushrooms were gone. I'm going to try to get a video in 3 more days when fruit/veggie day comes around again.

Mushrooms are the first food that made my redfoots eat from my hand... They like fewer foods more

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Food for thought concerning mushrooms in the diet; my wife who pays attention to such things tells me mushrooms are calorie free foods.
That tells me a calorie counter can eat as many as they like, and it won't affect the “bottom" line as it were. I'd be concerned about goodness as a food and maybe use it as a treat.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I have never tried mushrooms with my Tyrone, but I am going to now!

He goes absolutely crazy for strawberries! He can be asleep in. His hide and if I put a strawberry in there he comes running! I buried one under his kale and he sniffed it out and flung his kale to the side to get to the strawberry!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Ok I gave Tyrone a mushroom sliced chunky ...and WOW he went crazy! He couldn't eat it fast enough! Does anyone offer hay to your RedFoot?

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
RE: redfoots and mushrooms

My guys aren't too big into mushrooms, but corn ON the cob is a favorite! I get such a kick out of watching them eat it, they will munch in lines then spin the piece. Too funny! Hard boiled eggs is what they really come running for! (I don't feed them eggs all the time so when they see me with them they go bonkers! Not as keen on scrambled though...)

I have a "hay house" in my pen, the guys love to riffle around in it, but they don't really eat timothy or alfalfa, the will nibble on the Orchard Grass (Oxbow), so I try to use that over the T or A, but it is not as easy to find at pet stores, I generally special order it.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA

Watsonpartyof4 said:
Ok I gave Tyrone a mushroom sliced chunky ...and WOW he went crazy! He couldn't eat it fast enough! Does anyone offer hay to your RedFoot?

No hay here, but that's the mushroom response I get too.

Wondering4toolong said:
My guys aren't too big into mushrooms, but corn ON the cob is a favorite! I get such a kick out of watching them eat it, they will munch in lines then spin the piece. Too funny! Hard boiled eggs is what they really come running for! (I don't feed them eggs all the time so when they see me with them they go bonkers! Not as keen on scrambled though...)

I have a "hay house" in my pen, the guys love to riffle around in it, but they don't really eat timothy or alfalfa, the will nibble on the Orchard Grass (Oxbow), so I try to use that over the T or A, but it is not as easy to find at pet stores, I generally special order it.

Do you know what the consensus is on feeding corn? Good, bad, or ok every once in a while? because mine really like corn too and we picked like 3 pickup truck loads of sweet corn this year, so my freezer is loaded with it. No short supply here, I just wasn't sure if it was good to give once a week or what.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member

redfoot7 said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:

Wondering4toolong said:

Do you know what the consensus is on feeding corn? Good, bad, or ok every once in a while? because mine really like corn too and we picked like 3 pickup truck loads of sweet corn this year, so my freezer is loaded with it. No short supply here, I just wasn't sure if it was good to give once a week or what.

So I had to take Tyrone to have his beak dremeled and they asked what I was feeding him, I told them, Kale, Collards, Spring mix, with green peppers, zucchini. Squash, strawberries and now mushrooms.... They freaked out and told me not to feed mushrooms because it was high in phosphate and the same with strawberries.

I don't feed him mushrooms and strawberries everyday, maybe once a week on the shrooms and twice a week a strawberry ... Is is wrong?
I do give him a powdered calcium sprinkled on the strawberries.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL

14a725ce7fd9dfbf3b3609cbaa41033a_zpsfc1cffaa.jpg

This is Carlos my yearling cherryhead chowing down on mushrooms. All of mine love them.

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA

redfoot7 said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:

Wondering4toolong said:

My guys get it seasonally (I'd give it yr round if I could store it like you) Over my 9 yrs (and counting) as being a RF owner all that I've researched on the corn topic leads me into the ok once in a while category. My guys get almost everything offered to them on a revolving basis, a lot of times they won't finish it...or like to nibble at it here and there, being adults they seem to be able to moderate themselves pretty well and make healthy choices as long as they are offered.:D

boil3rr

5 Year Member

I never thought that they would like mushrooms but after reading this thread and offering it to little Abe he can't stop eating them! Thank you for your advice!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.