REDFOOT WARMING HUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is an inside shot of the " tort hut" ... already getting " warmed " up for winter ! This is a nighttime/daytime house as they are free to come and go during the day , but are put away everynight .... sleeptight .....
n17.jpg

n6.jpg
n18.jpg
n20-1.jpg

HAPPY TORT~N
JD~:)

LindaF

5 Year Member
You have some very pretty red foots. I think some of them are actually smiling about their new tort hut!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
JD what are the temps. in there at night and what are they during the day? I brought Dale inside because I couldn't get his temps. up in our garage to more then 75 degrees and it worried me. Yours looks great and I see that you also have what looks like a small heater in there too right?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
JD what are the temps. in there at night and what are they during the day? I brought Dale inside because I couldn't get his temps. up in our garage to more then 75 degrees and it worried me. Yours looks great and I see that you also have what looks like a small heater in there too right?

78 ...is about the constant night time temp. but thats " open air" .. I would say under the heating elements its more like upper 80's. There is two elements 150's and two 150 night/heat lights. on the lower area ... but then I do have a second shelf that I keep the younger torts in and it has lights as well ...
The space heater is for me ! ... ha ha ha ... ( when I work in the " hut" :p )
I recently added a very cool thermostat that allows you to plug in 3 diff outlets to control and maintain heat. It comes with 18" probe that can be hung/draped to monitor temps.

n11.jpg

( notice the mist line on the right in the first post? ) .. I have an outside bib that has quick connect to hose ..and Wa LA .. instant rain forest ... " low volume and ultra fine mist ) ...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Do you find that they choose to go out a lot in the day or do they stay inside of the enclosure? Do you get your clamp lamps at Home Depot? I didn't see thermostat in the picture, where did you get that from? Where do you buy your heat lights from if you don't mind me asking? The mister is very nice and so is this enclosure. :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Do you find that they choose to go out a lot in the day or do they stay inside of the enclosure? Do you get your clamp lamps at Home Depot? I didn't see thermostat in the picture, where did you get that from? Where do you buy your heat lights from if you don't mind me asking? The mister is very nice and so is this enclosure. :)

Candy .... Well some stay in more than others ...but ALL come and go thru out the day. A couple of the large Torts are very personable ( why I like Rf's so much) ... they know exactly when I get home and come out to greet me and just check things out, crusing the yard thru out the day ...exspecially Oscar ' the big alpha cherry... and oh yes they are looking for food too! :p )
The clamp lights are from Low's ... * Remember* ... Spend the extra bucks and MAKE SURE the fixture you use has a CERAMIC BASE*....
Do not trust the plastic ones they will melt ! .... Also I screw down all all the fixtures.....(permant ones) ... not even using the clamp .. but just the arm/bracket. The heat elements and lights I get locally from a Pet supply Co. The thermo I just got at the last show in Pasadena See pic .. of name of manf. ....
The nicest thing with this hut .. is its very low key Looks like a little house with a window .. and even skylight for natural lighting , it's maintance free,,, you can stand up in it, its 7' tall ... and with 35 sf floor space makes for a great retreat for the torts ..... during the night. Not to mention you can control the elements and lock everything up to boot!
HAPPY TORT~N
thermo.jpg
nitehut.jpg
Jrcherry3Face-2.jpg

terryo said:
OK..Jim could you come to my house and work in my garage? LOL That looks great!

Who's Jim ? ..... :D

( Iam thinking the cold weather already back east ? .....:p *effects memory* ... tee hee hee ... )

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you for showing me all of this. One day I'm going to hire you to come over and build Dale, Ruby and Eddie something since my husband is pretty tired of it by now. :D I have been showing him the sheds but they aren't cheap to buy and I only have Dale that can be outside right now. Ruby and little Eddie are too small as of yet. I didn't know that you went to the Pasadena Expo, where are your pictures from there? :p The last picture of your little Cherry reminds me of my little Eddie. That's so cute. :)

I think that "Jim" is very close to "Jeff". :D :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You're right JEFF...sorry. I was looking at a picture of my son...Jim...that's on my desk...sooooooooooooo, that's what I wrote. Yes, I'm probably loosing it, not from the cold weather though. I've been eating chocolate turkeys all day and the sugar went to my head.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ha ha ... Miss Terry ... No Problem .. I was just giving ya heck~ :p
Ive been called other names too! .... :D ....
Candy ... here are some other tort habitats I have built in the past .... as well as a cool Tort hide" for a buddy ~ ....
Maybe some ideas to kick around with your hubby ..... and remember alot of fun to build!....
Happy Tort~N
torthabitat2-2.jpg
p1010405.jpg
KingsCage2-1.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
And this is exactly why I'm going to hire you someday! That is some quality workmanship. :D I absolutely love all of them and am now so jealous. I love that tort hide. I showed my husband and yes he remembered your work. :D I think Dale, Ruby and little Eddie want to spend their vacation at your house. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey JD, those are the same thermostats I use. I've got about 10 of them up and running all ovr the place. They have been working great for two years now.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hey JD, those are the same thermostats I use. I've got about 10 of them up and running all ovr the place. They have been working great for two years now.

Nice Tom ....... Glad to hear some other input on them. It took awhile to find what I was loooking for .....but so far happy with the device!

Wishing everyone ... Happy Tort~N

Status
Not open for further replies.