Redfoot vivarium

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I started to set up a new vivarium today for when my hatchling is ready for its new domain.
Its 18x36".
No fancy set up, 2" depth of coco coir compacted hard. Couple of water holes, food slate, hide and some fake log thing I got with this 2nd hand viv.
I'll add another hide to the warmer end too. Gives it the option to hide at any temperature. I'll also be adding spagnhum moss to, some mixed in to the substrate and some piled up so the little fella can hide in it.
Just below the 100watt CHE is a foil sheet so there is no hot spot under the CHE. CHE is on a stat, cool end is 82f and warm end is 86/88f depending on upper and lower state of the stat.
Got a 14" 5% uvb strip light at the warm end, this keeps everything in low light.
Not tested humidity yet, no point until moss is in. But should be 90%+, should off the scale in the moss.
IMG_20160424_173423.jpg IMG_20160424_173705.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I started to set up a new vivarium today for when my hatchling is ready for its new domain.
Its 18x36".
No fancy set up, 2" depth of coco coir compacted hard. Couple of water holes, food slate, hide and some fake log thing I got with this 2nd hand viv.
I'll add another hide to the warmer end too. Gives it the option to hide at any temperature. I'll also be adding spagnhum moss to, some mixed in to the substrate and some piled up so the little fella can hide in it.
Just below the 100watt CHE is a foil sheet so there is no hot spot under the CHE. CHE is on a stat, cool end is 82f and warm end is 86/88f depending on upper and lower state of the stat.
Got a 14" 5% uvb strip light at the warm end, this keeps everything in low light.
Not tested humidity yet, no point until moss is in. But should be 90%+, should off the scale in the moss.
View attachment 171374 View attachment 171375
Hey! Awesome for little baby!!!! She'll love it!! How's she doing now? Still with her big belly thingy?:) what do they do when they are that brand new? Do they do anything??? Just curious

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hey! Awesome for little baby!!!! She'll love it!! How's she doing now? Still with her big belly thingy?:) what do they do when they are that brand new? Do they do anything??? Just curious
Egg sack nearly gone now.
She moves around a little bit, basically just sits there soaking up the sack.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do they eat,drink, move with that thing hanging out?
Not eating or drinking yet. Im not interfering with her until the eggsack is gone, I keep checking on her to make sure nothing dries out, that's it. Not even touching her, also got a towel over incubator to make it darker.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is the sack small enough for her/him to move around ? Or is s/he still just sitting on it
Yeah, s/hes getting quite active now. I'll see tomorrow if it's time to move him/her out of the incubator.
We've got to come up with a word for, she/he and him/her. It does my head in and i don't like referring to it as it. Lol.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Yeah, s/hes getting quite active now. I'll see tomorrow if it's time to move him/her out of the incubator.
We've got to come up with a word for, she/he and him/her. It does my head in and i don't like referring to it as it. Lol.
Of course! It's not IT!!! To me she is a girl! And I'm sticking with it until few years from now you prove me wrong:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So my little guy seems at home now, he's eating a bit, in the morning I top up the water dishes with warm water, sit the guy in it whilst I get a few weeds, he seems happy sat there for 10/15 mins soaking.
My air humidity is recording at 86%. Deep in the moss it's off the scale 99%+. At night he seems to favour the cooler darker end(82°). Digging through the moss into the coir. Coir is moist not wet through.
In the first photo he is on the left just in front of the hide dug in.
In the second photo I gently moved the moss to show him.
IMG_20160429_211117.jpg IMG_20160429_205619.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I know some don't like the moss and have had problems, we always use the dried moss( adding boiling water to kill anything off) maybe a bit of OCD there lol.
However we couldn't get any dry moss and bought some live moss, on opening it, it stunk to high heaven and seemed very stiff and stringy like. So ditched it and ordered some of our usual choice off the net. I'm wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with the dry type moss out there.
This is what we use, I only used half this in the photo above. £6 a pack.
IMG_20160430_133107.jpg

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Can we refer to him/her as "the little one" and if theres multiple.. Little one 1, little one 2
Or the baby !
Pea? Since theyre so small?!

Pearly

5 Year Member
I know some don't like the moss and have had problems, we always use the dried moss( adding boiling water to kill anything off) maybe a bit of OCD there lol.
However we couldn't get any dry moss and bought some live moss, on opening it, it stunk to high heaven and seemed very stiff and stringy like. So ditched it and ordered some of our usual choice off the net. I'm wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with the dry type moss out there.
This is what we use, I only used half this in the photo above. £6 a pack.
View attachment 172005
I have a unopened package of it but tend to lean towards sheet, frog or mood moss. To me those are less messy and keep things much cleaner. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462026211.696456.jpg see where the green is? That's Mood moss. It comes in clumps as they dig it up/detach from whatever it grows on. I soak it in lukewarm water for just few minutes. It does have characteristic "mossy" smell but that airs out overnight. The one with strongest smell is moss collected around rivers and streams, where they get flooded when rivers spill out of the banks in heavy rains. That one smells very strong! Again, not a "bad smell", just kinda strong. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462026778.252145.jpgthe moss here is called "sheet moss". It's just flat thin sheets of moss that grows on hard flat surfaces. I get it in dry sheets of irregular shapes, different sizes. I like it for the terrarium floor and also line the hides with it mood moss, whichever is softer/nicer. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462027056.138438.jpg this was river moss (the smelly one). I wish I could find more of it. It would be great for the hides (very fluffy yet unlike sphagnum, this one stays together) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462027447.933075.jpgthe round green pomp-pons is my favorite- Mood moss. I'd use it all over but it gets very pricy.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462026715.470165.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462026715.470165.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 17

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a unopened package of it but tend to lean towards sheet, frog or mood moss. To me those are less messy and keep things much cleaner. View attachment 172009 see where the green is? That's Mood moss. It comes in clumps as they dig it up/detach from whatever it grows on. I soak it in lukewarm water for just few minutes. It does have characteristic "mossy" smell but that airs out overnight. The one with strongest smell is moss collected around rivers and streams, where they get flooded when rivers spill out of the banks in heavy rains. That one smells very strong! Again, not a "bad smell", just kinda strong. View attachment 172011the moss here is called "sheet moss". It's just flat thin sheets of moss that grows on hard flat surfaces. I get it in dry sheets of irregular shapes, different sizes. I like it for the terrarium floor and also line the hides with it mood moss, whichever is softer/nicer. View attachment 172013 this was river moss (the smelly one). I wish I could find more of it. It would be great for the hides (very fluffy yet unlike sphagnum, this one stays together) View attachment 172032the round green pomp-pons is my favorite- Mood moss. I'd use it all over but it gets very pricy.
One of the places I go collecting weeds from has thick dense moss in abundance, looks like what you are referring to as river moss, theres no rivers though. :confused:. We've used it for the hingebacks before. I'll take photos next time.

Pearly

5 Year Member
One of the places I go collecting weeds from has thick dense moss in abundance, looks like what you are referring to as river moss, theres no rivers though. :confused:. We've used it for the hingebacks before. I'll take photos next time.
How I'd love to get my hands on it!!!! Why don't you try using it for the baby's home? Nice, soft bed?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
How I'd love to get my hands on it!!!! Why don't you try using it for the baby's home? Nice, soft bed?
Because they can't bury under that kind of moss, the spaghnum acts like dense grass. They dig into the coir with moss laying over them. The moss I've seen is like a sod(as in grass sod). They wouldn't be able to dig through it. I'll show you it next time I'm out collecting.