Redfoot tort table???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
How big should my redfoots tort table be? There both 5 inches now but would like to build a one for them to permantly live in for many years. Any suggestions? Thanks

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Wow that is awesome.. So real.. Mine should be ready by christams time.. I thinking 6x3.. Plexiglass walls.. Not sure how to do the substrate though.. I see this one was lined and filled with some type of soil

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks Yvonne. :D It's back in between the boys beds now as winter is now here. My husband did not want it back in the house though, but you know that the tortoises always win. :p The substrate is organic soil (from home depot) and cypress mulch and moss. Actually I have two enclosures in the boys room now. One for Dale and one for Ruby and Little Eddie. Poor boys and poor husband. ;) Oh yeah we lined it with painters plastic so we can wet the substrate.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
I like that idea with the liner.. Do you have to change all the soil ever?

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
For my tortoise table I use cypress mulch. You should probably switch it out every month or so because of urine and such.

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
My enclosure (still being completed) is 3x6' and should do for quite a while... My red foot is 6"+ and seems to love her new area.

I used vinyl flooring for the inside of the box. It allows for a very good wetting of the substrate.

I used canvas for the sides, but that was to reduce weight and add a new style function and feel.

Substrate: Coco-coir and topped with cypress.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
jareeed2 said:
I like that idea with the liner.. Do you have to change all the soil ever?

I do change it every 6 months that's all. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Mine's 6' x 4'6" and Joe measures 10.5"

I would steer away from plexglass walls. If torts can see through, they want to escape. Solid sides are better.

I meant to say I use a piece of pond liner to line it which is great for poop and damp proofing and easy to clean. Substrate, etc on top

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
JoesMum said:
Mine's 6' x 4'6" and Joe measures 10.5"

I would steer away from plexglass walls. If torts can see through, they want to escape. Solid sides are better.

I have heard this for years, but my torts show no sign of it in their current or previous habitats.

I am sure it applies to some species or individuals, but it certainly does not apply to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.