Redfoot substrate outdoors?

Redfoot!!!

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi, I was searching on what substrate to use for my outdoor redfoot enclosure, but I couldn’t find a good answer. If any one of you knows, could you please help me? Thanks.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Hi, I was searching on what substrate to use for my outdoor redfoot enclosure, but I couldn’t find a good answer. If any one of you knows, could you please help me? Thanks.
I don't have any redfoots but i've heard orchid bark and coco coir is pretty good for indoor enclosures, how old is your tortoise? are you building a big 10x10 enclosure for an adult?

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
I don't have any redfoots but i've heard orchid bark and coco coir is pretty good for indoor enclosures, how old is your tortoise? are you building a big 10x10 enclosure for an adult?
My 2 redfoots are around 4 years old. They are around 18 cm long. My enclosure is around 8 x 8 feet in size.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Can they be used outdoors too?
i think so. if you plan on building one on grass, you might as well skip the substrate. you should try installing a misting system to boost the humidity a bit. according to google, the humidity in jakarta is 68% right now so maybe you most likely have to try the misting system out. humidity should be 80%+. try growing out the grass and removing any toxic plants. maybe add some plants for shade. also, im pretty sure they won't work out in pairs..? 3-4 should be fine. another redfoot expert could probably help you soon. good luck with the enclosure :)

Last edited:

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
i think so. if you plan on building one on grass, you might as well skip the substrate. you should try installing a misting system to boost the humidity a bit. according to google, the humidity in jakarta is 68% right now so maybe you most likely have to try the misting system out. humidity should be 80%+. try growing out the grass and removing any toxic plants. maybe add some plants for shade. also, im pretty sure they won't work out in pairs..? 3-4 should be fine. another redfoot expert could probably help you soon. good luck with the enclosure :)
actually, now that i think about it, you'd need A LOT of orchid bark and coco coir

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
Alright! I’ll definitely try the misting system. I’m getting a new redfoot soon, and my two redfoots seem to get along quite well anyways. Thanks for your help!

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Alright! I’ll definitely try the misting system. I’m getting a new redfoot soon, and my two redfoots seem to get along quite well anyways. Thanks for your help!
youre very welcome! oh and, welcome to the forum :)
ps: make sure when you introduce the tortoises that they get along (cuddling, sleeping together, ramming, etc are all signs of aggression)

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
cuddling, sleeping together, ramming, etc are all signs of aggression)
Sleeping together is a sign of aggression? I did not know that. My torts usually ignore each other and if they meet they just look confused and go their seperate ways. Sometimes they sleep together but most of the time they sleep in different spaces. Is that ok? Thanks

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
Sleeping together is a sign of aggression? I did not know that. My torts usually ignore each other and if they meet they just look confused and go their seperate ways. Sometimes they sleep together but most of the time they sleep in different spaces. Is that ok? Thanks
My cherryhead likes to hide a lot, and he doesnt move unless I am around. Now I am thinking he is stressed because my redfoot is bullying him. Am I right or am I worrying too much? If he is stressed, then does adding a new redfoot help? Thanks

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
My outdoor pen for my adult RF is 40x10, and it's part of my yard. So it's grass and weeds on dirt LOL. I put down some cypress mulch every spring in less grassy areas to hold moisture, and there is cypress mulch in Beasley's doghouse hide, but otherwise, grass and dirt. I'm going to plant a weed mixture specifically next spring.

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
My outdoor pen for my adult RF is 40x10, and it's part of my yard. So it's grass and weeds on dirt LOL. I put down some cypress mulch every spring in less grassy areas to hold moisture, and there is cypress mulch in Beasley's doghouse hide, but otherwise, grass and dirt. I'm going to plant a weed mixture specifically next spring.
I’m planning to do that too. I probably will move my RFs to a bigger enclosure. Thanks!

Rijal

Jakarta, Indonesia
You can use standard dirt (tanah) without fertilizer and grow plants on it. It is now sometimes dry here but we are soon entering rainy season (in fact, it is thunderstorm now). Don't forget to install proper drain system to avoid flood and night box which will always dry, maybe elevated

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
You can use standard dirt (tanah) without fertilizer and grow plants on it. It is now sometimes dry here but we are soon entering rainy season (in fact, it is thunderstorm now). Don't forget to install proper drain system to avoid flood and night box which will always dry, maybe elevated
Ok.. I am going to do that. Terima kasih!

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
My cherryhead likes to hide a lot, and he doesnt move unless I am around. Now I am thinking he is stressed because my redfoot is bullying him. Am I right or am I worrying too much? If he is stressed, then does adding a new redfoot help? Thanks
you should separate them until you get that other tortoise. redfoots need to live in groups of 3-4 to minimize bullying. will your new redfoot be the same age/size as them?

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
you should separate them until you get that other tortoise. redfoots need to live in groups of 3-4 to minimize bullying. will your new redfoot be the same age/size as them?
Ok! I will seperate them first. My new redfoot will be the same size as them.

Livinlavitaboca

Boca Raton
I have two 5 year old females who live outside in a 10x 20 walk in enclosure. They stay outside unless the temperature drops under 60 here in FL. They have a chicken coop they go in at night with a heat panel that I turn on if it’s in the 60’s. The bottom is mainly grass but they have caves with cypress mulch.