RedFoot or Russian

clintdowns

5 Year Member
I used to have Sulcata tortoises and I used to breed them in Texas. I am in the military and currently had to move to Florida. Now that I am here and I am settled, I am currently looking at either acquiring Redfoot or Russians to start breeding here. Just from your alls experience what would be the best species to start breeding. I am looking at: best hatch rate, easiest to keep, and other things like that.

Please advise with you experiences. Thanks so much in advance.

Clint

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Captive bred Russians are a bit scarce here in the States. RF are a bit more common, and probably much easier to keep in Florida.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
More redfoot breeders than russian. The russian tortoise seems harder to breed in captivity.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I used to have Sulcata tortoises and I used to breed them in Texas. I am in the military and currently had to move to Florida. Now that I am here and I am settled, I am currently looking at either acquiring Redfoot or Russians to start breeding here. Just from your alls experience what would be the best species to start breeding. I am looking at: best hatch rate, easiest to keep, and other things like that.

Please advise with you experiences. Thanks so much in advance.

Clint

Redfoots would be better suited for that weather....

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Russians are more tolerant of cold and can handle a large range of temperatures. So, it could be determined by which end of Fl you are located. The southern end is more redfoot like in terms of weather. The jacksonville to pensacola end can have some winter temperatures.

Breeding will be easier with the redfoots.

Or you could just go for both! :)

Good luck!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would go for both, if you have the space.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With you in Florida, I would certainly go with redfoot/cherryheads. A little more size then the Russian, but much more colorful and a wider dietary selection.

clintdowns

5 Year Member
I just dont quite know. Its so hard to make my mind up. I would get more eggs from redfoots? Which ones are easier to incubate and hatch?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It seems to me redfoots are easier to breed, and may provide more eggs.
CB Russians, as mentioned, are a little rarer here. There are all kinds of theories, but russians need a lot of room to be a group, and can be aggressive, so housing a pair together is usually not a good option, and so successful pairs are a little harder to come by!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks. Could everyone please elaborate.

Redfoot Tortoise--thrive in warm humid environments
Russians do better with a bit less wet....not saying beef jerky dry :)D) but the need for the more humid environment is not the same for the Russian as is for the Redfoot...

Redfoot and Russians are each equally accessible in the pet industry.....both are over collected....

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Russians are known to have one of the most successful hatching rates somewhere around 90% I believe. I am not sure about captive bred Russians as this fact is for the wild specimens. I do not know the redfoot clutch rate but I still think redcoats are a better bet for success.

clintdowns

5 Year Member
Thanks to all of you so much for your time. I really appreciate the thought when you all type this. I would still appreciate more thoughts on this and what you truly think would be more successful and please don't just a russian or red foot please break it down into the pros and cons