1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Redfoot humidity question

Discussion in 'Redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises' started by ErinW913, Aug 17, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. ErinW913

ErinW913 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Ohio
    I tried finding an answer but am getting more confused I have a Cherry Head Redfoot male who is about 2.5 years old. We just had a 6' x 2.5' x 18" Custom Cage made for him and moved him in. I have 2 main questions.

1) Can humidity be too high? It is hovering around 89-92%. Is that ok, or is that a tiny bit too high? Temps right now are 78 throughout and I am waiting on higher wattage CHE bulbs to arrive so I can raise those above 80 (they are on thermostats so they won't go too high)

2) I have the T5 UVB holder. I read that you need to use the 10.0 bulb instead of the 5.0 if your holder is higher than 12 inches above the tortoise, so that is what I purchased because mine is 18 inches high. However, now I read in a forum that the 10.0 should not be used because it is desert instead of tropical. Anyone know the correct answer? ‍