Redfoot housing and pyramiding

Dniece1260

I'm new to this forum, but what a great place for information. I have had Sampson (4yrs) and Ace (3yrs) both red foots. I always read not to keep in aquariums so I purchased zoo-med tortoise house but found that it doesnt keep the humidity up, therefore both are pyramiding. I have taken to the vets for blood work and exam to make sure everything else is OK, which is fine. I am now looking for a used or new tortoise habitat that keeps in humidity and large enough for my pair. I am not handy doing carpentry work and need something that looks good in our living room and is the right housing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big are they and where do you live? A proper enclosure for two RF will have to be pretty big. Also are you seeing any bullying. Like one a lot smaller then the other, one sites on the food and won't let the other eat or one hides all the time? I ask cuz torts don't do well in pairs. Also if one is male and one female the male will bully the female to illness or death at breeding time. You may need to seperated if you are seeing any of this.
Check out our enclosure section and if you can house them outside that would be best.
Take a look also on the tortoiselibrary.com for RF info.

Dniece1260

We live in northern Ohio, winters are really bad here so no outdoor enclosures. Sam is 7.5 in and Ace is 6in. Most definitely the bigger one pushes the smaller one around. I believe they both are females, when the vet looked at them (separately) he didn't want to say for sure but thought they were female. He wants to see them together of course another office call. They are my grandsons tortoises and asked when they were taking home, neither one has a big enough house for them. If I need to separate I will I just didn't want them to get lonely. Picture is the oldest one outside this summer

Attachments

• 20150822_161634.jpg
    20150822_161634.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
We live in northern Ohio, winters are really bad here so no outdoor enclosures. Sam is 7.5 in and Ace is 6in. Most definitely the bigger one pushes the smaller one around. I believe they both are females, when the vet looked at them (separately) he didn't want to say for sure but thought they were female. He wants to see them together of course another office call. They are my grandsons tortoises and asked when they were taking home, neither one has a big enough house for them. If I need to separate I will I just didn't want them to get lonely. Picture is the oldest one outside this summer
Hi there. If you show some photos of the plastron(underneath) and tail area we can have a look at sexing them for you.