humidity level and changing their house

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
alamogordo, NM
hi everyone
i have 2 red foots 3yrs old and their shells are about 3 inches. what is the best way to keep up with the humidity level if i start keeping them in a box habitat or are they big enough for outdoors

thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tricia, Please Read www.redfoots.com this site has lots of information. at 3 inches I would not allow them outside unless the temps are right and they are in a preditor proof enclosure. My opinion I am sure others will respond.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hi Tricia,

You have been told some really bad and wrong info about your redfoots!

Or it sounds like your 3 year-olds have been deprived severely. A 3" redfoot is usually about 6-8 MONTHS old.. almost always.

Since we have no clue where you are.. and the temps are.. Crazy1 is right.

NERD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
trixie said:
hi everyone
i have 2 red foots 3yrs old and their shells are about 3 inches. what is the best way to keep up with the humidity level if i start keeping them in a box habitat or are they big enough for outdoors

thanks

There might be some misunderstanding about the size of your 3yr olds. Tortoises are measured in a straight line from front to back. That is, not in a curve up over the shell, but straight from tail to head. 3" is a VERY young tortoise, and if they are 3yrs old, they should be much bigger.

Yvonne

trixie

5 Year Member
alamogordo, NM
sorry everyone so i measured wrong my redfoots from head to toe straight line are about a little over 6 inches. they are in very good health i just took them to the vet. the temps her in new mexico is normally 100 in the summer and goes down to 70's at night. dont know about winter but it gets very cold because we are in a canyon in the desert. i want the best for them that is why i am asking. for know they will be inside
thanks

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
trixie said:
hi everyone

thanks

Hey trixie, check out other peeps' posts and you'll learn a lot just by snooping around. I too am new to this and I visit the forum Every hour! Terry, crazy, madkins and the others know their stuff real well. Your in good hands here. These guys are awesome. Good luck.

trixie

5 Year Member
alamogordo, NM
thanks for recommending redfoots.com gave me a good idea already how to create a good habitat for the inside for the winter and to start working on an outdoor one. only one big question when i start to build one outside i live in NM and it is desert any recommendations on having a area outdoors for the humidity to be right for the torts
thanks everyone

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
New mexico... 100 degrees... Outside enclosure... Hmmm... First thing that comes to mind is shade, more shade, a hella lotta plants (they do shade and humidity), and maybe a sprinkler or wicked *** waterfall for them to chill out with. Not to mention; all sorts of crunchin' munchin' good plants for them to eat whilst chilling in the shade.
But I live in good 'ol frostbitten Canada, so I'm just listing what I'd want if I were to trek down there. I don't know how you can live in that heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.