redfoot hatchling not eating

stjrc1

5 Year Member
I received through the mail a redfoot hatchling. It has been two and a half days now and it won't eat. It drank but has no interest in food. It also has bubbles coming from its nose intermittently. How long can this go on? We are in NYC area. I have it properly housed inside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh boy...this is the wrong time of year to be shipping baby tortoises. Where (how far traveled) did the baby come from?

Soak him in warm water daily. I'd put the bowl of tortoise and water in the habitat near the edge of where the light shines on the floor of the habitat so it doesn't get too cold. Leave him in there for about 15 minutes a day.

Make sure the temperature in your habitat is about 85F overall. Redfooted tortoises don't need a hot side and a cool side.

Welcome to the Forum! Be sure to read all you can about the care of RF tortoise babies. Did the seller offer you any advice?

http://redfoottortoise.com/redfoot_tortoise_hatchling_care.htm

stjrc1

5 Year Member
The baby finally ate! I'm so happy but I do not like that it refused the fresh vegetables and only ate that stupid dog food looking thing that the seller sent me.

New2reds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
stjrc1 said:
The baby finally ate! I'm so happy but I do not like that it refused the fresh vegetables and only ate that stupid dog food looking thing that the seller sent me.

Have you tried feeding your red foot any greens? My red foot loves mustard and collard greens and will never pass them up!