New Sulcata hatchling owner… is this normal

H

honeytonette

Hello!
Recently purchased a Sulcata hatchling (?) I can’t tell how old it is. Based on weight and length I’m assuming around 2 months old. I have some concerns about its face though.

When we purchased it. It looked very dry and the substrate provided wasn’t ideal. We have improved its tank to increase humidity.

But still can’t shake that something is wrong.
Its eyes have gotten slightly better. Only have had her for about 3 days. Today would be the third soak she’ll have so I think they’re working.

She also gets time outside while I garden. Preparing a veggie and flower garden for her so I don’t have to grocery shop.

She’s eating and pooping nomally. And is very active, especially outside.

No bubbles from her mouth or nose or cough.

Currently searching for a reptile vet as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6661.jpeg
    IMG_6661.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6653.jpeg
    IMG_6653.jpeg
    811.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    727.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6665.jpeg
    IMG_6665.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What type of lighting are you using?
Mercury vapor, halogen and coil type bulbs should not be used
A straight tube fluorescent for uvb unless you get her outside for short times, like 20 minutes while still so young. An incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for added day heat if needed and night heat. Temps should never drop below 80, humidity should be 80% in a closed chamber and basking 95-100.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can you get a better picture of the face please?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, there is something wrong with its face - either cleft palate or injury of some sort. Any chance you can trade it back for one with a normal face?

Being careful to not cover the nares, dab on some Vaseline over that black portion (dried blood?? ) to keep it soft.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!
Recently purchased a Sulcata hatchling (?) I can’t tell how old it is. Based on weight and length I’m assuming around 2 months old. I have some concerns about its face though.

When we purchased it. It looked very dry and the substrate provided wasn’t ideal. We have improved its tank to increase humidity.

But still can’t shake that something is wrong.
Its eyes have gotten slightly better. Only have had her for about 3 days. Today would be the third soak she’ll have so I think they’re working.

She also gets time outside while I garden. Preparing a veggie and flower garden for her so I don’t have to grocery shop.

She’s eating and pooping nomally. And is very active, especially outside.

No bubbles from her mouth or nose or cough.

Currently searching for a reptile vet as well.
Something is definitely wrong there, but I can't quite make it out with the pics you posted.

Here is the correct care info for you:

H

honeytonette

What type of lighting are you using?
Mercury vapor, halogen and coil type bulbs should not be used
A straight tube fluorescent for uvb unless you get her outside for short times, like 20 minutes while still so young. An incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for added day heat if needed and night heat. Temps should never drop below 80, humidity should be 80% in a closed chamber and basking 95-100.
She’s getting sun time everyday for about 20-30 mins then a soak for the same amount of time right after. I live in So Cal so the sun is usually out even during the winter.

Her basking lamp is 75w the temp under the basking lamp is 90°.

H

honeytonette

Update: I just made a vet appointment for her today. If she has a deformity, will she live?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, there is something wrong with its face - either cleft palate or injury of some sort. Any chance you can trade it back for one with a normal face?

Being careful to not cover the nares, dab on some Vaseline over that black portion (dried blood?? ) to keep it soft.
I believe that is just dirt on its face. I think the only concern is the eyes.

H

honeytonette

Is the eyes your only concern or it's beak/nose where it's black, which I took as just dirt.
Now it’s both 😅. I thought the eyes did look smaller than others I’ve seen online. The black spot is concerning. I tried gentle brushing it with a q tip and it didn’t come off so now I’m thinking it might be an injury?

H

honeytonette

What vet did you pick?

Adding @Tom in case he knows them.
Firestone animal hospital. Found one close by that could take her today. I think she might have a respiratory infection now. When I gave her a soak I noticed some mucus

H

honeytonette

I don’t think I could return her I’d feel too bad. I talked it over with my husband and he feels the same way 😥

H

honeytonette

Update #2 : vet said that it looks like something attacked it and the brown spot is blood. Also has a respiratory infection.
Poor little guy. He got a shot and some ointment for the cut. Have to take him back 2 more times for follow up shots

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I’ll let others like @Yvonne G give health advice, just know vets always seem to default to wanting to give torts shots, and many vets don’t really know tort care, even those who are exotic vets

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Update #2 : vet said that it looks like something attacked it and the brown spot is blood. Also has a respiratory infection.
Poor little guy. He got a shot and some ointment for the cut. Have to take him back 2 more times for follow up shots
The shots are most likely Baytril if their anything to treat the RI. Hopefully you didn't get vitamin injections that do nothing. Vets that understand tortoises are pretty rare so that's where the mistrust comes from.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
If you have a receipt or discharge paperwork take a look at it for anything that tells you what the injection was

H

honeytonette

The shots are most likely Baytril if their anything to treat the RI. Hopefully you didn't get vitamin injections that do nothing. Vets that understand tortoises are pretty rare so that's where the mistrust comes from.
Discharge says: Bayteil injection, triple antibiotic (that’s the ointment for the cut)

Hoping this means he’s a reliable vet?

H

honeytonette

I appreciate everyone’s input.
All of this is very new to me. I’ve never owned a reptile so I’m glad I can cross reference the treatment that I’m getting and making sure that it’s valid or not.
Always appreciate learning more to advocate for my pet. 🐢💞