Redfoot enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

becky4carl

5 Year Member
Hiya,Iv got two 9 year old breeding redfoots,there in a 6ft viv,but all Iv got in there is moss and coco coir with a few stones and feeding bowls,it doesn't look very nice,I realy wanna pimp my tank lol,every time I put plants in here they just trample all over them,I realy need some good ideas on how to make there home more interesting cause at the mo it's not very nice,any ideas will be great

Attachments

• image-2264848910.png
    image-2264848910.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 174
  • image-15237042.png
    image-15237042.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 173

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Not trying to be overly critical here, but 6 feet doesn't give you much space to work with, especially with 2 adult redfoots. Once you start adding plants, hides, etc. I think you may agree?

Any chance to setup a larger area for them? I think it would provide you more freedom for creating a more "interesting" habitat. Information from the Tortoiselibrary.com gives minimum measurements for tortoises based on the European shell-length model.
http://tortoiselibrary.com/ - on the sidebar see "Housing" ---> "Enclosures", it's the first thing written on that article.

In addition to Mike's link, TerryO has made some beautiful habitats for her subadult redfoots and box turtles. See here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-24768.html#axzz286Syq0IV).
You can also find her article on the Tortoiselibrary.com under the "Housing" section - Planting an Interesting Habitat.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
If your trying to breed them, it won't work. First of all, your breeding pair itself doesn't look to healthy. On top of that, your cage is way to small. I know its hard to provide a large amount of space if you don't have a big yard, but in such close quarters they probably won't breed. They need to thrive and be happy to breed, and to do which they need more room.

becky4carl

5 Year Member
Hi reply to redfoots rule my redfoots breed just fine Iv just had 4 baby's hatch,plus they only really sleep in there tank I have them roaming the house most of the day,can I just ask u how u think there not very healthy,I look after my tortoises very well and there very happy torts,I am going to start looking for a bigger home for them soon,but as there not in there all the time this ones fine for now.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
By "not healthy" I was referring to the progressed metabolic bone disease. And by saying they won't breed, I was more hoping that would convince you to give them better housing. Odds are, they may produce babys, but the adults won't be very happy.

becky4carl

5 Year Member
My tortoises are very happy,Iv only had them 2 years and there looking a lot better than when I 1st got them,im constantly reading books and going on forums to get the best information to look after them,nd to be told there not healthy is a right insult,I thought forums are here to help people with there tortoises and not to be told I'm miss treating them.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
The major issue here is that many people are going to say that your current enclosure is too small for 2 adult redfoots. This may be expressed in different ways, and you may interpret this in different ways as well, which can end up with someone having hurt feelings.

I don't think anyone is trying to insult you here from the previous posts.

The truth is (and there is no easier or gentler way to say this) that 6 feet x 2 feet is pretty small for 2 adult redfoots. This statement doesn't reflect you or your torts in any negative way, it just is. You are doing the best you can do by researching and learning, and going from there. Your effort in this alone is more than many people would do, so just try to keep learning for you and your torts! :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
mightymizz said:
The major issue here is that many people are going to say that your current enclosure is too small for 2 adult redfoots. This may be expressed in different ways, and you may interpret this in different ways as well, which can end up with someone having hurt feelings.

The truth is (and there is no easier or gentler way to say this) that 6 feet x 2 feet is pretty small for 2 adult redfoots. This statement doesn't reflect you or your torts in any negative way, it just is. You are doing the best you can do by researching and learning, and going from there. Your effort in this alone is more than many people would do, so just try to keep learning for you and your torts! :)

Very well said :)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
mightymizz said:

Words of wisdom! ;)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I wasnt trying to insult you by talking about the MBD. I'm just saying they have it, not that its your fault. And yes, 6x2 is pretty small for adult redfoots, but Im sure your trying to do the best you can.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
I agree 2 adults need ALOT more space! And arn't their shells supposed to be smooth even growth? They look awfully bumpy...:(

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Let's refrain from making sugar-coated, rude statements. It's unproductive and does not foster the welcoming, educational purpose of this forum.

Unless folks want to contribute something new, lets refrain from berating the original poster in passive/inquisitive undertones. I think the space issue has been addressed.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
You could just use an old book case if you want to go a bit bigger. The 5 shelve ones are 6 ft by 3 ft. All you would have to do is get or make a top for it. I think it would give you more flexibility than the tank. I got mine for 10 dollars on craigs list. :)

becky4carl

5 Year Member
I'm working on making them a bigger home,but as I live in the uk my torts get very little natural sunlight as we hardly had a summer this year,so are always housed indoors,plus my torts looked worse when I bought them so there doing a lot better now,when we bought them they were living in a 3 foot tank with no uv,I would love nothing more to make them a huge home in the garden but we just don't get the weather,plus the pics I took wernt very good,I don't think the critism is needed when people come on these forums for advice,

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
becky4carl said:
I'm working on making them a bigger home,but as I live in the uk my torts get very little natural sunlight as we hardly had a summer this year,so are always housed indoors,plus my torts looked worse when I bought them so there doing a lot better now,when we bought them they were living in a 3 foot tank with no uv,I would love nothing more to make them a huge home in the garden but we just don't get the weather,plus the pics I took wernt very good,I don't think the critism is needed when people come on these forums for advice,

Becky,
I dont belive no one intentional is trying to attack you or your “up~bringing of torts” ...........
But now a reality check~:rolleyes:
Your enclosure is way to small for 2 adult Redfoots, especially a breeding pair. You also struck a note by saying they are roaming around the house all the time , because you lack natural outdoor sunlight and or temps. Honest roaming the house does “Nothing” for their health or well being . Unless you have extensive and up to date lighting ….trying to replicate the sun and its natural healing powers is almost next to impossible ….and then honestly it’s never the same as the “real thing” . Also maintaining 70-80% humidity within your house needed for this species, would be very uncomfortable for the
“human residence” .
Just these 2 factors alone can cause a shorten lifespan for your shelled buddies and start to cause visual defects ( ex: the very pyramided shells). One thing about forums in general are we are not your “best friend” who is going to sugar coat their response because, if not the right one , it might hurt your feelings. ( Most of the time “ friends” will tell you want you want to hear, so it may not hurt your feelings …but at the same time not a very accurate or truthful answer. ) Don’t take this as a stab,but look at it as asking/interacting with folks who have kept tortoises for years . This being straight from the horse’s mouth of valuable FIRST HAND INFO not from some dam book. I could probably name 4 people in here including myself alone that have over 250 years combined experience in raising/breeding torts… but guess what ? We learn from our mistakes and still do till this day. I myself have bred and specialized in RF’s for only 15 years but have kept torts for over 40 ….does that make me an expert? NO ….but I know first hand info of what and what doesn’t work. I joined this forum about 3 years ago and still learn all the time ….it’s a super resource for gaining knowledge and “ how to” keep torts all around the world . Your approach and enthusiasm shows you want to provide the best for your torts , try and keep your emotions out of it … It’s tuff I know….I go round N round here with folks all the time….sometimes getting feelings hurt or just plain pissed off. I might add…..generally most folks Do keep their torts indoors and in some type of aquarium/enclosure which in my own opinion is very sad. Tortoises are not ment to be indoors in a “caged” atmosphere. But again that’s my opinion……..
Hang in there keep researching and keep a stiff upper lip…..
“peace”
JD~:)

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
N2TORTS said:
Becky,
I dont belive no one intentional is trying to attack you or your “up~bringing of torts” ...........
But now a reality check~:rolleyes:
Your enclosure is way to small for 2 adult Redfoots, especially a breeding pair. You also struck a note by saying they are roaming around the house all the time , because you lack natural outdoor sunlight and or temps. Honest roaming the house does “Nothing” for their health or well being . Unless you have extensive and up to date lighting ….trying to replicate the sun and its natural healing powers is almost next to impossible ….and then honestly it’s never the same as the “real thing” . Also maintaining 70-80% humidity within your house needed for this species, would be very uncomfortable for the
“human residence” .
Just these 2 factors alone can cause a shorten lifespan for your shelled buddies and start to cause visual defects ( ex: the very pyramided shells). One thing about forums in general are we are not your “best friend” who is going to sugar coat their response because, if not the right one , it might hurt your feelings. ( Most of the time “ friends” will tell you want you want to hear, so it may not hurt your feelings …but at the same time not a very accurate or truthful answer. ) Don’t take this as a stab,but look at it as asking/interacting with folks who have kept tortoises for years . This being straight from the horse’s mouth of valuable FIRST HAND INFO not from some dam book. I could probably name 4 people in here including myself alone that have over 250 years combined experience in raising/breeding torts… but guess what ? We learn from our mistakes and still do till this day. I myself have bred and specialized in RF’s for only 15 years but have kept torts for over 40 ….does that make me an expert? NO ….but I know first hand info of what and what doesn’t work. I joined this forum about 3 years ago and still learn all the time ….it’s a super resource for gaining knowledge and “ how to” keep torts all around the world . Your approach and enthusiasm shows you want to provide the best for your torts , try and keep your emotions out of it … It’s tuff I know….I go round N round here with folks all the time….sometimes getting feelings hurt or just plain pissed off. I might add…..generally most folks Do keep their torts indoors and in some type of aquarium/enclosure which in my own opinion is very sad. Tortoises are not ment to be indoors in a “caged” atmosphere. But again that’s my opinion……..
Hang in there keep researching and keep a stiff upper lip…..
“peace”
JD~:)

JD,

You just joined my list of. Favorites!!!!
Very well said!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I've talked to a few people in the uk on toetoise keeping and man does it seem like you guys have it tough. Lol rain cold rain, but people make it work and it seems like you are trying and doing alright. First thing is enclosure size, it's very small for them and this can lead to stressing, if its just sleeping quarters it can work, why not put more soil in there so they can bury in a little if its for sleeping. I would build a tortoise table very cheap and easy to make. I made one for 50 dollars it was 8x3 foot which was bigger then most have room for, but even a 6x3 or 4 foot enclosure would be better. Two adults new as big as possible tho, if you can fit a 5x5, 6x6 10x10 do it they will love every in of space. Also decorations live plants and wood and stuff like that can help give the illusion of it being bigger then it really is. People arnt being harsh even tho it can seem like it , we all are trying to help, and help you an make it easier on you. Congrats on the babies! Any pictures. We love pictures

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Someone mentioned a bookcase on its side......AWSOME idea, have used it myself...as a little "add-on" to that you may think of building up...rather then out!! Certainly go with the biggest surface area you can but many people on here have had success building ramps and making Multi-level dwellings for their torts. Maybe that could be an option for you too??
Providing them with a damp warm "basement" may even be great for your female to lay her eggs in.....Just an idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.