New redfoot owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmitch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno nv
Hello everyone I'm about to receive a juvenile redfoot from tortoise supply.com I have wanted one for soooooo long but I live in Reno nv which is dry and gets very cold in winter iv done research this was not an impulse buy. I even considered a diff breed but what I really wanted was redfoot I plan on building a large enclosure ooutside using dog kennel for summers and a large enclosure in my garage once he/she is larger I know all about keeping humidity and temp. Right now I built my enclosure from a book case. Just curious on everyone's opinion of this, I want to do right are there any others here with experience keeping a red foot in drier harsher climate?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I live in So Cal, which isn't as hot and dry as Reno, but I keep redfoots and yellowfoots. I just keep them in a well planted enclosure that I keep very wet. I spray them twice a day and have a sprinkler that goes off in the pen at noon (when I'm at work.) I keep them heated on a pig blanket in the wintertime ... but I know a guy who keeps his on moist aspen and heats them with overhead lights. I may switch to that. Hope that helps some. Good luck! :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It's pretty dry here and I did a lot of misting and kept the coco coir damp. I actually put a humidifier in the enclosure on a timer to go off every 4 hours in the day.
My outside enclosure is set up with a misting system and plants. I still spray it down x2 a day because it's been 87-91 degrees. Lots of hides and shade.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi cmitch:

Welcome! Glad to have you with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.