Redfoot Enclosure: Is Douglas Fir Plywood Base OK?

ND135

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Is a Douglas Fir Plywood base ok to use for the bottom of my redfoot's enclosure?
... and I mean as the floor and not as the substrate.

So it would be:

1. Douglas Fir Plywood Base (is this safe for him?)
2. Raised garden bed on top of plywood (6' x 3' x 2')
4. Pond liner or a tarp over the plywood base and sides of garden bed
5. THEN fill in substrate
6. Greenhouse tent to enclose

I'm almost finished this enclosure and second guessing myself. I'm grateful for your advice.

Thanks! Hope to have this all finally wrapped up for my baby this weekend!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes.
Because you have a liner.
Just protect the liner from future cuts and scrapes that might happen from your torts feet and you should get extended use out of it.
You may also need to reinforce the plywood if it's raised depending on the thickness and the weight of the substrate once it's damp.
Otherwise it'll quickly sag in the middle

ND135

Maryland
Yes.
Because you have a liner.
Just protect the liner from future cuts and scrapes that might happen from your torts feet and you should get extended use out of it.
You may also need to reinforce the plywood if it's raised depending on the thickness and the weight of the substrate once it's damp.
Otherwise it'll quickly sag in the middle
Thanks! The plywood is 3/4" thick. I'll add substrate over the tarp/pond liner. Yes. I'm sure it will get heavy. That is my one worry. I don't have to move the enclosure often, but when I do I really need to.
I ordered plywood larger than the enclosure to allow for a "margin" to get a good handle on for picking up and moving about.

Thanks Zeropilot! :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks! The plywood is 3/4" thick. I'll add substrate over the tarp/pond liner. Yes. I'm sure it will get heavy. That is my one worry. I don't have to move the enclosure often, but when I do I really need to.
I ordered plywood larger than the enclosure to allow for a "margin" to get a good handle on for picking up and moving about.

Thanks Zeropilot! :)
Any time