Handmade mini greenhouse

sbwalker5

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield, UK
Hi, I recently posted about my temporary Kiddie Pool enclosure for my yearling Marginated, Douglas
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sand-pit-kiddie-pool-as-outdoor-enclosure.95818/

This gives him an hour or so outdoors time each day, if it's nice weather-wise. However, I was still concerned that it wasn't warm enough for him still. We're having a decent summer here in the UK, but temperatures are still no higher than around 70 degrees (around 22 celcius). I wanted to make a very mini (Douglas is about 3 inches long) greenhouse for his temporary enclosure, that might get a bit warmer.

Usefully, I work as a Science Technician at a school, so I managed to find some good little scrap materials to work with. I'm not very creative usually, but it's surprising how simple it is to knock something up...

I found some scrap strips of plywood, and a clear plastic lid for a small tray. I knew we had a hot glue gun, and small saws. So my idea was to create a three-sided box with a clear lid..

IMG_6349.jpg

I measured the inside of the lid lengthways, and marked and sawed three plywood strips to that length..
IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

Once I had three done, I used the glue gun on the edges, to build a wall that was three strips tall...
IMG_6353.jpg

I basically did the same for the other two sides, then glued these together at the edges to make a three-sided rectangle base. I then used some smaller cuttings to glue between the strips for a bit more support.
IMG_6354.jpg

The idea is for the clear lid to sit on top...
IMG_6356.jpg

For a bit of extra insulation, I have just taped some bubble wrap around the insides...
IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

This is a temporary thing for this summer. The wood hasn't been treated, so won't withstand moisture for long, and also the front being open might let a lot of heat out. But for now this hopefully will be a way to keep Douglas a little warmer if he needs whilst he is outside. I'll be seeing if this works when I get home!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Nice! You can make "door" flaps out of a hanging vinyl shower curtain cut into strips like a car wash. It helps hold the heat in but lets the tortoise in & out. Or just make a partial wall with a suitably sized opening.

You could paint the wood for weatherproofing.

The bubble wrap concerns me. If he claws it & pops it while trying to climb, it creates a hazard. I'd cover it with duct tape or sheets of coroplast (but then I have a stash in my basement) for safety, and that will provide even more insulation.

sbwalker5

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield, UK
@johnsonnboswell good point about the bubble wrap, thanks! I was thinking about getting some kind of vinyl for the front entrance.

It is only temporary, he'll be outdoors for no more than an hour supervised when it's sunny for now. I was just seeing what I could do really; it literally took me about 15 minutes to put together. But it's good to know I can make something similar (but larger), and completely weather-proof it for more permanent use..

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Even when you make something larger, this may still be a good night box or hangout.