Redfoot ate rotting snail

CharlieDan

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Quick question:

I just caught my redfoot eating a dead, stinky snail (shell and all!).

Charlie is 12 years old so relative to her size it was a very small snail, and I'd say she only got about 2 bites before she was caught in the act.

How worried should I be about this? The snail was in my garden and I don't use snail pellets so I'm hoping it wasn't a poisoned snail. I am preparing a worm dose right now.... Anything else to look out for?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Canadian Mojo

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Have you seen what these guys eat in the wild?

I wouldn't worry about it unless he starts acting funny.

CharlieDan

5 Year Member
I know they eat all sorts of funky stuff in the wild, but I was concerned because she is indoors a lot (too cold for an outdoor enclosure here) and so maybe wouldn't have a great immunity to these things ?

The veterinarian recommended worming her every summer when she spends time outside, in case of lungworm.

Thanks for the replies, they have put my mind at ease! ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know they eat all sorts of funky stuff in the wild, but I was concerned because she is indoors a lot (too cold for an outdoor enclosure here) and so maybe wouldn't have a great immunity to these things ?

The veterinarian recommended worming her every summer when she spends time outside, in case of lungworm.

Thanks for the replies, they have put my mind at ease! ?
My group live outside 24/7 365 and eat all manner of things.
They are designed to.
It's what a Redfoot does.
DO NOT use a veterinarian that thinks worming a tortoise once a year because it MIGHT have worms is required or is normal. It is not.
NEVER treat a tortoise for parasites unless it actually has parasites.....And the type of parasite is identified to determine the type of treatment.
That vet is either an idiot or they are taking you for one.