Murphy ate a snail shell

Susannadior

Location (City and/or State)
California
Murphy, my 4 month DT was out grazing today. I keep a very close eye but I let him walk wherever he wants. There is nothing dangerous in my yard so I'm not worried about him getting into anything dangerous. EXCEPT TODAY HE ATE A SMALL SNAIL SHELL! It was small enough for him to ingest easily enough but big enough to make me worry. How will this digest in his stomach? He seems uber resilient to everything but hes so small and I love him so much I have to worry. Any insight would be helpful!!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't think it's a problem. My Redfoot Murphy devours them when he finds them.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just extra calcium - nothing to worry about. I’m sure it will dissolve and be used or excreted by your tortoise.

• In land snails the shell is an essential protection against the sun, and against drying out. The gastropod shell has several layers, and is typically made of calcium carbonate precipitated out into an organic matrix. It is secreted by a part of the molluscan body known as the mantle. Gastropod shell - ScienceDaily
Happy Torting