Redbud trees are blooming.

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Sorry no pics. Its just that all the redbud trees are blooming and my sulcata would love a few flowers or leaves to munch on. Are the safe for tortoises? I checked on the tortoise table and couldn't find anything.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Sorry no pics. Its just that all the redbud trees are blooming and my sulcata would love a few flowers or leaves to munch on. Are the safe for tortoises? I checked on the tortoise table and couldn't find anything.
I have offered redbud leaves to my sulcatas for years. With no I'll effects. Can't say I actually ever seen them eat the fallen blooms though. I noticed today that many blooms were on ground.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Lots of Redbuds opening here in our neck of Maryland as well. The actual flower petals are so tiny that Im not quite sure they would really provide any real sustenance.

That said, I did find this little bit of info on their safety (at least for humans).
  • The blossoms of redbuds look very similar to pea blossoms because the trees are in the same legume plant family (Fabaceae). The blossoms are also edible and can add a bright, citrusy taste to salads. The unopened buds can also be pickled and used as a caper substitute.

Source - https://www.gardendesign.com/trees/eastern-redbud.html