red tip plants

ekmeeks

I want to start by saying sorry I hate computers and this is the first form I have participated in. I'm trying to find out if red tip yard plants are toxic to torts. I'm building my first out door pen and where it needs to go has red tips that are about 30 feet tall. Great shade but I dont know if toxic or not

Iochroma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
Can you please post a picture of it? (Use the little icon that looks like a mountain with the moon above)

ekmeeks

I don't see the icon I'm going to see if Incan fine the scientific name

ekmeeks

0.jpg

ekmeeks

They are like this but a lot taller and cut of ground like a tree. First leaves are about five feet of ground but do drop of some

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I used to be like you about computers too, but I think once you realize how much you enjoy talking to all of us here, you will soon get over that.

I think if you keep your tortoise's yard clean of leaves from the photenia, there shouldn't be a problem with having them next to his yard. Tortoises are pretty good at not eating plants that aren't good for them. They are not a terribly toxic plant and the usual problems with them is to mammals with allergies.

ekmeeks

Thank you all I could find said not toxic to grazing animals. But that's a lot bigger than tort

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Yes, just confirmed they are considered "low risk". The small content of several cyanide-bearing compounds is not considered dangerous.