Red or Yellowfoot?

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
So I am planning on (someday in the future) raising up one of the rainforest tortoise breeds. Currently right now I am just raising Mediterranean breeds. So at first I was completely sold on red foots, cherry heads to be exact, but now I am debating on a yellowfoot. It seems there are less people with yellowfoots which makes them seem more unique to me.

Any thoughts or comments about why everyone seems to like redfoots better?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Redfoots are easier to come by in the pet trade, they are smaller than Yellowfoots, and they actually are less sensitive to temp, humidity, and lighting, which makes them more adaptive to captivity.

Yellows are the true "rainforest" species as Redfoots roam the perimeter of forests in arid regions and grasslands.

If you do get a Yellowfoot, please check for parasites.

Meganolvt

Michigan
I've only ever had my yellowfoot, and that is only for just over a year. I don't know his history at all (like at all, I got him 4th hand, at least), so I cant speak for his upbringing, but I can tell you he's very social, curious, fearless, and hilarious. Everyone says that redfoot are more friendly, but mine is for sure a male, and he has a great personailty. They do seem more rare, and it seems like there aren't too many on here with one. Here's mine:20160601_083136.jpg

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Woahhh look at the tail on that YF! very cool.

I have heard that a lot of YF are wild caught as well, they do not have as much of a breeder-base in the US. I believe @TylerStewart from Tortoise Supply breeds them?

Just curious, do you always feed corn? I have never seen that before. Seems like the domestic corn we have in Michigan would have way too much sugar for tortoise?

TheSulcata

I think red foot is the way to go. I have a friend with a red foot and it is really cool. I like both though. I think it's cool how you can feed them worms (I always wanted to feed my sulcatas worms XD

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

I have heard that a lot of YF are wild caught as well, they do not have as much of a breeder-base in the US. I believe @TylerStewart from Tortoise Supply breeds them?

Just curious, do you always feed corn? I have never seen that before. Seems like the domestic corn we have in Michigan would have way too much sugar for tortoise?
Redfoot and Yellowfoot can handle some sugars. I beleive a yellowfoot can tolerate less.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I like Redfoot better. Less scrappy. Smaller. Easier to come by. More colorful. Almost all of them are captive born. Easier to feed/larger acceptable food choices.
And in my situation, almost perfectly matched with our climate. Tropical.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So I am planning on (someday in the future) raising up one of the rainforest tortoise breeds. Currently right now I am just raising Mediterranean breeds. So at first I was completely sold on red foots, cherry heads to be exact, but now I am debating on a yellowfoot. It seems there are less people with yellowfoots which makes them seem more unique to me.

Any thoughts or comments about why everyone seems to like redfoots better?
Yellow foots are more true to being in the rainforest than redfoots that live in just about every scenario SA has.
Yellowfoots grow bigger, males are more aggressive, they are not a sociable as reds, reds group up in the wild to sleep, yellows don't, yellows require it wetter than reds.
Yellows eat more protein too.
All the above is what I've read whilst learning about redfoots, it's not first hand experience.
If I had the space I would start a yellowfoot herd off, I like them a lot.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Great timing, I have someone local wanting to sell me this yellow. Does it look like a female?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477585408.808679.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477585423.313220.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Look female to me, I also thought the yellowfoot species has a darker plastron than those. Can you get photos of the heads from above.
@tortadise keeps these and is the man to ask for yellowfoot care.

Yeah I can get a pic shortly

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I've asked for more pics.

Attachments

• yellow.jpg
    yellow.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 25

Meganolvt

Michigan

I have fed him cooked corn on the cob twice and he went nuts for it both times. I didn't notice any problems with it and unlike in people, I didn't see any in his poop so I can only assume he digested it ok. I've seen sources for it and against it. I figure once or twice a year is ok. I've also read several books on reds/yellows and there are different opinions on which is more tropical (i've seen more saying reds are more tropical) and which can handle more protein or more fruit. Everyone has a different opinion. Just like everything with him, I do it all in moderation (fruit, protein, humidity, dryness) since no one can agree. It's like with kids, everyone does what seems to work in their situation.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have fed him cooked corn on the cob twice and he went nuts for it both times. I didn't notice any problems with it and unlike in people, I didn't see any in his poop so I can only assume he digested it ok. I've seen sources for it and against it. I figure once or twice a year is ok. I've also read several books on reds/yellows and there are different opinions on which is more tropical (i've seen more saying reds are more tropical) and which can handle more protein or more fruit. Everyone has a different opinion. Just like everything with him, I do it all in moderation (fruit, protein, humidity, dryness) since no one can agree. It's like with kids, everyone does what seems to work in their situation.
I don't cook it.
When I feed it, I shuck it, break them in half and toss them in.
It's like candy for a treat.