Red light night bulbs

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
Hey guys I just recently noticed some postings on how Red or Blue night lights are bad. What exactly does it do to sulcutas? Thanks in advance for the info.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
They can see the light and the color, so not only does it keep them up at night, but it also causes them to eat their substrate and messes with them because it makes their world red. I don’t think there’s an animal on earth that those are good for.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have used them, and black lights for night heat. You just have to be watchful to make sure the tortoise isn't moving around at night and eating the substrate. I've never run across this problem. I have 250 watt red brooder bulbs in Dudley's shed (110lb sulcata), in the Manouria shed and in the leopard shed. All my tortoises sleep at night and don't move around. The 250 watt light along with the pig blankets keep the temperatures just right during the cold winters here. Quite a few zoos also use red bulbs in their reptile enclosures.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I do not use red but I do use black heat bulbs. The black does not keep my guys awake or cause them to eat anything.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
In my experience, ceramic heat emitters last a really long time and save you money. I never had to replace a CHE for Charlie in all the years I used it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use/have used colored lights in my outdoor sleep houses. But only because It let's me tell at a glance if they are working.
Keeping me from actually entering my pen and open up the houses.
Otherwise, CHE. Hands down.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've used it for some R.P.manni I've had forever ….. as mentioned I can tell it's on from sight , the turtles obviously can see it and know it's heat , makes it possible for me to leave them outside until near November in northeast ohio , because they all know what it is …… I believe a 250 watt infrared bulb gives off more heat , or at least heats objects better than a 250 watt che …… I do believe they are more desiccating and probably would cause more pyramiding in a tortoise …...

DavidB

New Hampshire, USA
I've used a red night bulb pretty much since I brought my Sulcata home. Usually when I turn it on, he knows it's time to go to sleep and goes to a corner and settles in.

Have I been doing something wrong the last three years? :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've used a red night bulb pretty much since I brought my Sulcata home. Usually when I turn it on, he knows it's time to go to sleep and goes to a corner and settles in.

Have I been doing something wrong the last three years? :(
Not necessarily.
If it works for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys I just recently noticed some postings on how Red or Blue night lights are bad. What exactly does it do to sulcutas? Thanks in advance for the info.
It disturbs their circadian rhythms. It makes some of them sample the substrate or other inedible things. Tortoises see color better than we do. Imagine living in a red world. What would that do to your brain and perceptions? Imagine if the lights never went out and you never saw darkness at night ever again.

Tortoises can survive all sorts of things. Because people have used colored lights at night and the tortoise is still alive, does not make it good for them, and does not mean we should all go that route. Many people wish to simulate what happens in the wild. There is no red, blue or black light on at night out in the wild.

DavidB

New Hampshire, USA
It disturbs their circadian rhythms. It makes some of them sample the substrate or other inedible things. Tortoises see color better than we do. Imagine living in a red world. What would that do to your brain and perceptions? Imagine if the lights never went out and you never saw darkness at night ever again.

Tortoises can survive all sorts of things. Because people have used colored lights at night and the tortoise is still alive, does not make it good for them, and does not mean we should all go that route. Many people wish to simulate what happens in the wild. There is no red, blue or black light on at night out in the wild.
Hmm, maybe I should look into a ceramic heat emitter to use in its place then. I mean, Archimedes has been fine with it and like I said, seems to take the red light as his cue to go to sleep, but I get your points about why it could be bad for him even if he seems okay.