Red-footed tortoise help!

Turtle@Heart

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
So i have a red-footed tortoise and a few questions. The other night we were cleaning his cage and when we do that we let him walk around my room, my step-brother has a ferret that we had just got some treats for and we gave my tortoise one. He has been acting fine and he seemed to like it but is this something that is ok for him?
and also i have tried everything but his eyes keep on watering and i take him out like crazy any advice?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The watery eyes are from low humidity . Get a humidifier or spray the enclosure with water mist . Needs to be in the 80/90 range . Post pictures of your enclosure with temperature and humidity levels . We will be able to help more .

Turtle@Heart

Colorado Springs
here is his cage

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt there's anything in the ferret treats that will harm your RF tortoise. They are probably high on the animal protein side and RF tortoises can eat animal protein. But I wouldn't make a habit out of it.

Try again with your picture. I'd love to see your enclosure.

Turtle@Heart

Colorado Springs
ok i'll try again

i don't know how to do it any other way, but i can give you a description, he has a fairly large cage with lots of bedding, he loves to burrow a plate for water and food and a log to hide in

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Choose "Upload a File" from the bottom of the screen next to "Post Reply"

That takes you to your pictures inside your computer. Pick the picture, then click "full image" and then "Post Reply"

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Like mike said. Most of the time watery eyes are from humidity being too low but it can also be when the tortoise is too hot. By the looks of your sub straight I'd say your humidity is low. What are your temps and humidity at?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Do you know the temps in the enclosure??
I would soray the tortoise with warm water, many times daily.
The temps and humidity are a big deal.

Don't worry about giving your tortoise something out of the ordinary once in a while. Mine likes to eat the dog's food :p