Red foot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
I wanted to know if it normal cause yesterday wen I got my first red foot tortoise I put him in his enclosure n well went into his hide n dint come out anymore so I grabbed him from his hide n put him in my hand but dint open his eyes I wonder if that's normal maybe because he was sleeping?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
He is probably staying in the hide because its warm in there compared to the rest of the enclosure.

I don't keep RF's but the temps just seem low to me, I'm sure other will chime in and assist..

redfootraider

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
He is probably staying in the hide because its warm in there compared to the rest of the enclosure.

Does it need to b hotter in the rest of the enclosure or is that ok I was thinking maybe with the light on it would get hotter cause right now I only had the CHE on

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Good temperature gradient for the enclosure would be ~80ºF on the cool end and ~90ºF on the warm end. My cool side is ~77ºF, working it's way up toward the basking light, which is 92ºF directly beneath the light source. Night temps can drop a bit, but I wouldn't go below 70ºF, especially for a youngster.

I'd bump your overall temperatures up if you can. I use ceramic heat emitters and a thermostat:
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F9CV7K/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20) - this one keeps my warm end around 86ºF. These are the cheapest I've seen them in a while.
Thermostat: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQD9A/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The initial cost for keeping tortoises is pretty steep (unfortunately), but if you pick these things up they may help you greatly with your temperature gradient. The other option is to get a basking bulb on the warm end of the enclosure.

Lastly, hatchlings hide & sleep a lot, so don't be surprised if you don't see your tort much after feeding time.

If you can afford picking up a copy of Mike Pingleton's book, I'd do so:
http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm

If not, visit the site posted by dalano73 and these:
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/index.html
http://redfoottortoise.com/generalcare.htm

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
Temperature might be the problem, but maybe he is also just a little scared of his new environment. I would give the little guy some time. And congrats on your first Red Footed Tortoise :D

redfootraider

5 Year Member
tortoise-kid said:
Temperature might be the problem, but maybe he is also just a little scared of his new environment. I would give the little guy some time. And congrats on your first Red Footed Tortoise :D

Thanks I hope it is just that his scared

Laura said:
Some dont like it too bright..
is he still eating?

Well I haven't seen him eat but this is my first day with him

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I don't want to give you the run around here, but you may consider placing the hide in the cool, shady spot of your enclosure? The portion that's 92ºF may be a bit too hot for your hatchling to be sleeping in. Generally we have the temperature gradient set up so that the hottest portion (~90ºF) is where the tortoise would go to bask and warm up, leaving once warmed and retiring to a cooler spot to sleep and rest.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Redstrike said:
I don't want to give you the run around here, but you may consider placing the hide in the cool, shady spot of your enclosure? The portion that's 92ºF may be a bit too hot for your hatchling to be sleeping in. Generally we have the temperature gradient set up so that the hottest portion (~90ºF) is where the tortoise would go to bask and warm up, leaving once warmed and retiring to a cooler spot to sleep and rest.

Ditto!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I don't want to buck the system here,but I keep my redfoots at 85 degrees throughout their enclosure and they do fine.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
jackrat said:
I don't want to buck the system here,but I keep my redfoots at 85 degrees throughout their enclosure and they do fine.

So do I. I never had a hot side and a cool side. They have a big cave and it's cooler in there, (not by much) so they can go in to sleep and cool off if they want to.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Most new torts usually take a while to get adjusted to a new environment as well. Once you get the temps right just make sure he stays hydrated and he will settle in. If he wont eat give him some live food like an earthworm to stimulate him

Status
Not open for further replies.