Adopted 7 year old Red Footed Tortoise

Keeks

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
This is my first red foot tortoise, but not my first tortoise. Seems like his shell is pyramiding. Or is this a normal adult shell? Other than that, his shell is hard and he's very active.

20190502_090100.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Pyramided yes, horribly so - NO. It would be difficult to stop the progression, there is no 'reversing' it. At that size and age, you'd need a well managed closed chamber to stop the progression. The effort to do that might not balance out with the result, as he will always be at least that pyramided.

I hope other offer the POV.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes he's pyramided pretty bad. Not a normal shell. Not much you can do about it at that age. He will always be like that.

Keeks

Miami, Fl
Yes he's pyramided pretty bad. Not a normal shell. Not much you can do about it at that age. He will always be like that.

Yeah, I didn't think there was much to do at this point. His first owners had him in a very small space for many years. I'm the 3rd owner.

Keeks

Miami, Fl
Pyramided yes, horribly so - NO. It would be difficult to stop the progression, there is no 'reversing' it. At that size and age, you'd need a well managed closed chamber to stop the progression. The effort to do that might not balance out with the result, as he will always be at least that pyramided.

I hope other offer the POV.

Thank you for all that info!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello @Keeks
You're in Miami.
Will your tortoise be living outside? Outdoors here in south Florida is a GREAT place to keep Redfoot.
I'm in Fort Lauderdale (Sunrise)
It looks like your new friend had a rough start. Best of luck to you.

Cachorra

5 Year Member
Palm Beach County
Looks like my Paco! I got mine already pyramided; but the pyramiding stopped progressing once he had his own pen outdoors where he can roam freely in a large space with sunlight and shade; and his very own cave. Enjoy your red foot guy! There’re awesome!

Keeks

Miami, Fl
Hello @Keeks
You're in Miami.
Will your tortoise be living outside? Outdoors here in south Florida is a GREAT place to keep Redfoot.

Yes! He is living outside in my backyard which is very big and has tons of grass and weeds to eat along the way. He already found his favorite spot to sleep in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello @Keeks
You're in Miami.
(I love your new avatar pic)