1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Red Foot Tortoise Diet

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Plato_The_Tortoise, Jul 24, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Plato_The_Tortoise

Plato_The_Tortoise Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Stamford, CT, USA
    My new Red Foot came a bit early and O wasn't prepared food wise. He is a hatchling and I am wondering if anyone can give me diet tips? I haven't been able to get the food he needs. I heard mangos are good? Anyway, I have been feeding him strawberries and some cucumber and lettuce lately, but he only really eats the strawberries. I know this is an unhealthy diet so could anyone help me out with this? Thanks;)
  2. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi there. I see that you have had many views to your post but no replies. That's odd. Anyway, what you must do is read, read, read. Read the diet sheets on the best foods to give these tortoises. If you cannot get him the food he needs, for some reason, then you need to give him up for adoption to someone who can. Best thing for him.
  3. JLM

JLM Active Member

Pensacola Florida
    Read the tortoise chef pinned post at the top of this forum. It's very helpful
  4. Amber26

Amber26 Active Member

Ontario
    He/she definitely needs more variety. I feed mine dandelion greens and flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, clover, sow thistle, plantain, spring mix, pumpkin and squash leaves, squash itself, papaya, zucchini, strawberries, kiwi, butterworms every few weeks for protein. There is so much more but I have yet to access mulberry leaves, grape leaves, figs. All sorts of other weeds - if you look up The Tortoise Table, you can research safe weeds/plants. You don't have to feed these all at once, you can alternate and if all he is eating is strawberries try smushing them and spreading over these other foods to get him to eat a more varied diet.
  5. Plato_The_Tortoise

Plato_The_Tortoise Member

Stamford, CT, USA
    Do you know where I could find any of this? I don't think any palmers or Trader Joe's would have many of those, maybe Whole Foods?
  6. Amber26

Amber26 Active Member

Ontario
    Most of it I get from my yard. As long as you know there's been no pesticides etc. Usually you can get endive, collard greens, turnip greens etc from a grocery store, as well as most of the fruit and veggies. I'm in Canada so we may not have the same things. Look around at various ones and maybe if you have a health food store or something? You may also be able to get a hibiscus from a garden center but be sure to replant into organic soil and only feed the new growth after a few months in case of pesticides :)