red foot tortoise confusion

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i've been reading alot lately about lighting heating and humidity, diet etc but i'm sort of confused on the lighting issue i understand that they need UVB but what about basking? wouldn't a basking light make it to bright? i've read through a couple different sources and old forums on here saying red foot's don't like it bright? everything else is going great the diet humidity and temps are all being met but if no basking i'd need to use a CHE which wouldn't be a problem

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I use a 10.0 uvb tube lamp and a heater in my garage to keep the garage at 85 degrees . I also have a humidifier . But when they were small I had a che and a 24 inch 10.0 uvb . Humidity was made with zoomed humidifier . You don't need a basking spot . When my reds are outside the stay in the shade . They will come out in the sun when the mister is on and graze . Then when mister is off they will stay out till there shells dry then back under a shade plant .

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
mike taylor said:
I use a 10.0 uvb tube lamp and a heater in my garage to keep the garage at 85 degrees . I also have a humidifier . But when they were small I had a che and a 24 inch 10.0 uvb . Humidity was made with zoomed humidifier . You don't need a basking spot . When my reds are outside the stay in the shade . They will come out in the sun when the mister is on and graze . Then when mister is off they will stay out till there shells dry then back under a shade plant .

i use a 10.0 UVB tube currently to and i have a CHE just haven't used it except at night because haven't needed it my tort doens't have access to a whole lot of natural light at this point the weather just isn't permitting it so with being inside all the time would you still just recommend just the UVB maybe with CHE to meeting temp needs during the day?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, put the che on a thermostat . That way it will come on and off with temperature .