KSA05

Location (City and/or State)
Wolverhampton
I’ve had my red foot tortoise for 3 years now and have been giving him a 55|45 split of fruit and greens and veg and also some protein. I’ve given mostly meal worms and hard boiled eggs as she eats everything. She also loves mushrooms. However I’m struggling to know how many meal worms per feeding I should be giving does anyone have a rough guide of how many and also should she be eating every day as I usually feed her every other day as I always have been doing and I have done the same with my 10 year old horsefield tortoise. Also I’m pretty sure it’s a female due to not having the concave plastron and hourglass shape but can someone just confirm for me.

Attachments

• 7FD31293-6213-4BE9-B6CF-5A96265C8061.jpeg
    7FD31293-6213-4BE9-B6CF-5A96265C8061.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 5BDF9965-F0D7-4153-ACEB-04009E3A6E4C.jpeg
    5BDF9965-F0D7-4153-ACEB-04009E3A6E4C.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. Protein sources could be 10-20% of their diet - depending on food type (mushrooms - more, animal protein like invertebrates or boiled meat - less). Some use "size of the head" measure. So "two heads" of mushrooms or "one head" of animal protein a week. I've noticed on my RF that when she gets too much protein-rich foods she is less active for a day or two.

2. It's better to feed your tortoise every day. They usually know when to stop so the weekly consumed amount will be the same. However everyday feeding is a more natural for them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd avoid feeding him/her any one item every day. Redfoot can eat hundreds of items. It's easy to mix it up.
Meal worms or other proteins are something I feed more like once every week or two.
Don't be overly concerned about a schedule or a ratio. Just mix it up. Feed what you have available each day and try to keep from feeding any one thing too often.
When it comes to Redfoot. Feeding them is the easiest part.
Get creative and expand the menu