Protein besides hard boiled eggs

Kauaitortmama

Location (City and/or State)
kalaheo
I fed my red foot hard boiled eggs befoee and she LOVED them but then that night she threw up all over her enclosure. I've been scared to feed her any since then but worry about her protein intake. I feed her crickets and meal worms, quite a lot actually but I worry she doesn't get the right amount and kind of protein. Help! Petco said she was a year old but I'm thinking she was a few years old if counting rings on the shell is indicitive of age...

Attachments

• 20210624_121412.jpg
    20210624_121412.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 11

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unless the picture is really deceiving, she is much old. She looks too large to br a couple years old.
@ZEROPILOT can help with diet and a picture next to a shoe or something will give a better size. The growth rings are not real reliable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yeah.
A photo with either a yard stick or something to use as a guide to determine the actual size would be helpful.
A yearling is still pretty small.
Don't stress about the protein. You'll find many foods that qualify and that can be safely fed.
I use mostly DOG food as has already been mentioned. But I also feed chicken liver, whole mashed, boiled eggs and Mazuri 5M21.
Protein makes up less than 5% of the diet of mine right now. It can be as much as 50% on occasion.
Use a wide variety of fruits, flowers, greens, mushrooms and vegetable matter also.
Variety is your answer.