Feeding the Red Foot

Travis

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
Hello! So I will be receiving my red foot hatchling tomorrow morning. I have picked up a few things for him to eat. So far I have, Curly Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Kale, and Strawberries for him.

Is there anything else I should be feeding him? Besides protein things, I know I have to feed him those occasionally.

Also, I've heard of people giving them worms for a source of protein. If I do, how often should I give them to him to eat? I am not quite sure how much protein is in a worm.

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Im not an expert by any means, so hopefully others will chime in with other input, but you should try to widen the variety of the greens you are feeding, as the ones you mentioned are high in oxalic acid and are better off as a varied diet. You want the greens to make up most of the diet, with the fruit and protein a small percentage.

Endive, romaine, cactus, hibiscus, grape leaves, dandelion and even 'spring mix' are all good ideas to name a few. Tortoisetable.org.uk is a great resource for checking out new food offerings.

Worms are great for a source of protein, you should offer it infrequently- some folks do once a week, once a month, etc. I am currently offering my 6 month old redfoot animal protein about once a month.

Good luck with your new RF, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

New2reds

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Here is the list of different foods I feed my red foot. Keep in mind This is how I feed my red foot. The fruit is fed 1 or 2 times a week and the protein is fed once a week, greens the rest of time alternating between the different types.
My list:
Romaine
Collard greens
Mustard greens
Bell peppers (red, yellow, green)
Mushrooms
Strawberries
Blackberries
Apples (not often)
Boiled egg
Boiled chicken
Cactus (Christmas cactus) although my red foot ate almost the whole plant! It's in the re-growing stage now!
Have tried cat food but my red is not too pleased with it.

You will find out what your red foot likes pretty quickly. There are certain foods that my red food will come out of his hide for immediately when I put
it out. Others not so much. Good luck!
One more thing, don't be alarmed if your redfoot does not eat much the first few days of getting him/her. They usually have to get acclimated to their enclosure, but every redfoot is different!!