Red foot not eating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortellini213

5 Year Member
After doing a lot of research and reading, I decided to get a baby redfoot tortoise in October last year (2 months old). In the first month he developed a respiratory infection, but with meds from my vet he was back in action within days. However, for the past 2 weeks my baby tortellini hasn't been eating and is walking very sluggishly...normally he eats very well and is pretty active for a baby so this concerned me a lot. I started analyzing his habitat, (80-90 degrees, 60-70 humidity) replaced his substrate (cypress and sphagnum) I feed him mixed greens, yellow squash, berries, etc. sprinkled with calcium powder, and change his water dish daily...then I started questioning his lighting. I had asked my bf 2 months prior to stop and get me new UVB day/night bulbs and he had got them and replaced them for me before I got home...I didn't think anything of it then, but yesterday I took the bulbs to petsmart and found he had accidentally got the basking heat bulbs for reptiles instead of the UVB bulb...I am now beside myself thinking he might have MBD or some kind of D3 deficiency. I am going to the vet tomorrow ,but was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to treat my tortellini if he does have MBD? Can he recover? Is he permanently damaged? I'm so worried and feel helpless...

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
I would bump up the humidity..80-85%
Im not sure why this has happened. What UVB bulbs do you currently use....is it a coil? This could be a problem...sorry can't help you just bumping! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get him in as much sun as possible, don't let him over heat though, until you can get him to the vet. Also, once they have had a respiratory infection, they can be prone to getting it again. Good, luck, keep him on the warm side until the vet visit. Another bump

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tortellini213 said:
After doing a lot of research and reading, I decided to get a baby redfoot tortoise in October last year (2 months old). In the first month he developed a respiratory infection, but with meds from my vet he was back in action within days. However, for the past 2 weeks my baby tortellini hasn't been eating and is walking very sluggishly...normally he eats very well and is pretty active for a baby so this concerned me a lot. I started analyzing his habitat, (80-90 degrees, 60-70 humidity) replaced his substrate (cypress and sphagnum) I feed him mixed greens, yellow squash, berries, etc. sprinkled with calcium powder, and change his water dish daily...then I started questioning his lighting. I had asked my bf 2 months prior to stop and get me new UVB day/night bulbs and he had got them and replaced them for me before I got home...I didn't think anything of it then, but yesterday I took the bulbs to petsmart and found he had accidentally got the basking heat bulbs for reptiles instead of the UVB bulb...I am now beside myself thinking he might have MBD or some kind of D3 deficiency. I am going to the vet tomorrow ,but was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to treat my tortellini if he does have MBD? Can he recover? Is he permanently damaged? I'm so worried and feel helpless...

First- MBD takes a bit to develop, as do light-related problems. 2 weeks is just not enough time for them. Heck, the tort could probably do fine if it spent 2 weeks in a deep burrow in the wild.

Is there any chance it can spend some time outside? Some natural sunlight and so forth often does wonders, especially for animals that have had a previous infection. (Make sure it still has access to shade and hides.)

I cannot tell for sure what is wrong based on your descriptions, but some thoughts are...
- 90 is a bit high, aim for about 85ish as the overall high.
- adding calcium to often can be a problem since it looks like mildew and tastes bitter.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
You sound very discouraged and I would be too. But look, what you described above sounds like you are doing everything right. I agree with Madkins007, having no UVB for 2 weeks isn't the issue. Your feeding him good, the right temps, close enough to the right humidity, fresh water and bedding. That all sounds great. Nothing YOU did. A vet visit is a good idea but rest a little Tortellini213, don't kick yourself too much. This happens. Sometimes you can just buy a tortoise that looks healthy on the outside but sick on the inside. Good Luck to you and Tortellini.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Maybe I'm misreading this, but I swear it says that she replaced the bulbs 2 MONTHS, not weeks, ago. Which means he hasn't had any UVB for 2 at least months. You should get him out in the sun ASAP and let him soak in some loving rays, because 2 months is a decently long time. I believe most reptiles can go about a month without UVB exposure before bodily functions are affected (though they really shouldn't).

MBD has a fairly slow progression, but it is deadly and quite terrible. There may be some minor damage at this point, but I don't think it'd be anything life threatening as long as your torts shell still feels fairly solid and doesn't look misshapen.. Just get your tort some sun. A vet visit wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

Status
Not open for further replies.