Tortoise Not Eating For 2 Months!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

5 Year Member
[/font]Help Me Please. I Have A Greek Tortoise That hasn't Been Eating For More Than 2 Months,, It All Started When I Travelled and had to keep it with someone but he didn't feed it in the month i travelled,, when i came back and tried to feed him he didn't eat, and he was sleepy,, he became so weak,, he rarely opens his eyes.. what to do,, please help befor i lost him :'( :(

Zeus

5 Year Member
I.m Trying To Warm Him As Possible But it Looks Like He is still Cold :S :(

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I would take him to a reptile vet pronto. While you are waiting to take him,you can soak him in warm water that has a jar of babyfood strained carrots or pumpkin mixed in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Would this be this same tortoise:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Poorly-tortoise--32732?pid=309287#pid309287

My gut feeling is that the tortoise is trying to hibernate.

Put him into a tub of room temperature water with high sides and put a light over over one end of the tub. Place the tortoise right next to the light, but not directly under it. The water should only come up to the middle of the sides of his shell where the top meets the bottom. This is called the bridge. Leave him sitting there in quiet and solitude for about 30 minutes. You may have to do this for a couple or three days before you see signs of life, but he may perk up after the first soak. After the soak place him in an indoor habitat that is totally warm all over from left to right and keep it warm even at night. If you don't see improvement after two days, he needs to go to a qualified tortoise vet for help.

I forgot to say:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would make sure that you hydrate your tortoise....warm water soak and if that does not pep him up some I would take your tortoise to a reptile/exotic vet....they can go down hill pretty quickly and from what you have described here he has already used up 2 months of time.....

Will you please post a pic of him? Pictures help alot. :D

Zeus

5 Year Member
Before Posting the threadi already soaked him in room temp. water for about 45 mins,, he seemed to start moving a little in the water but when he returned to his place with the food right infront of his eyes he slept and didn't pay attention...

Zeus

5 Year Member
Good News :D ,, 2day i soaked him in warm water and put him in a more light area and warmer,, and he started to (TRY) to eat,, but he is to wek,, he looks at the food and extends his neck and open his mouth but just can't get it into his mouth,, what to do?! :(

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I would say soak him more often :) it seemed to really improve my torts overall health

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
How is your little guy? I would keep him super warm and try hand feeding him. Have you soaked him in baby food, like carrots or squash? It's Yvonne's magic potion! How warm are you keeping him? They can't process their food when they are cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.