Red foot baby - no improvement today ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanker

5 Year Member
Well for the update today..
I have kept the temps up around 83-88'. The humidity was at 79. My tortoise did not move from the same spot all day, well for the last 24 hours. He will move his arms and head comes in and out, his eyes dont open either.
I did not use any UVB light (following NERDS website)I did soak him for about 1 minute to see if he would or not.(This is what I have been doing with him the last 4 days to get him to drink) He maybe had a little. I did not handle him. I offered strawberries and leafy greens, he did not eat anything. I also misted him multiple times.
I talked to the breeders again and she said to move him from under the heat light that he is getting over heated. She said that he has been over heated and tht is why he isnt responding to anything. But then everyone in this forum is telling me that he was to cold and thats why he stays under the heat light.... Is this the case??? Should I move him away from the heat?
What temp should I let the enclosure get to and night, low 80s???
I am really confused and I welcome any advise and thoughts.
Thanks

HarleyK

5 Year Member
If the temp is in the mid-80's, your tort should be fine. Your tort might be dehydrated and I would personally soak it for 10 minutes in warm water. If I had not done that for my hatchling it would have just dried to death because it is so shy. Hatchlings are very shy so they should be hiding. Mine hides all day and I have to physically take him out for a 10 min. soak and then offer food (the only time I handle him). It will walk around for 30 min. and burry into its hide.

Can you describe how you set the tank up....the substrate specfically?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Tanker it is not too hot for him if the temp. is 80 to 85 degrees your breeder is not correct. I have two that I've raised in the last year from babies at that temp. You do have a something in there to read the temp. right? Do not let him get cooler then that. I would not soak him since you've done that a lot already. You have to realize that it's o.k. for him not to drink all of the time he's a tortoise. Follow what we have told you on here and leave him in his enclosure and don't bother him too much accept for checking on him. I would not be picking him up. Mine go to the water if they want to soak or drink and as long as your misting him he should be fine. What will be will be from here on out, but I do not agree at all with your breeder telling you that he is too hot unless your temp. gauge is off. I myself would put some light into the enclosure but just wouldn't put it directly on him. I would put it off to the side. I do this for Ruby and Eddie so they know that it's morning time and it's time to get up to eat. I don't know what's going on with your little one, but I think that you just need to give him warmth and light and water and food and leave the rest up to God. Please let us know how he's doing in the morning.

tanker

5 Year Member
He is the same ): I gave him a 1 minute warm soak and I think he drank a little. Gave him fresh food and still not interested in it. Other than that I just have to wait and see if he snaps out of this.
I will keep you posted. Cross your fingers for him!!!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
(I had a completely different reply written, but realized I needed to try something else.)

Let's start over.

Hi Tanker, I'm Mark, in Omaha. So, you have a new little Red-foot that you are worried about? If you could, I think it would be helpful if you shared some information to help us out.

1. Where are you? Your local climate (indoors and out) can affect some aspects of care.

2. Tell us about the tortoise. How long is the shell? Can you weigh it? How old did the breeder tell you it was?

3. Tell us about the housing. What kind, how big? Where in the house is it (near a major traffic area, somewhere with a lot of lights and noises?)

4. What kind of substrate, depth, and how damp do you keep it?

5. Lighting. Kind, brightness/watts, how far from the substrate, how long is the day length? When you used UVB, did it bask under it?

6. Heating. How are you heating it? How do you control the heat? What temp is it at ground level in the warm area? Cool area? How did you measure it?

7. Humidity. How are you providing it? How are you measuring it? Is there a more humid area, such as a hide?

8. Water. Describe the size, type, and position of the water dish.

9. Food. What are you serving? How much? How are you serving it (on a flat rock? What?)

10. Tell us a bit about the breeder. Did he really breed it or just sell it to you? When does he say it was born? Was it eating for him? Has he bred a lot of Red-foots? Did he sell it too young (that is, is the yolk scar on the plastron completely closed up?) Did you see this one or the others before you bought one? Are the others doing OK?

11. Now, it is not eating or drinking, does not move much, does not open its eyes often?
- Are the eyes swollen? Weeping/tearing?
- Is there any 'stuff' on the eyes, like 'sleep goop'?
- Does the shell feel firm, like tough plastic, maybe a little flexible on the bottom, but resists pressure and pushed back? Or is it more leathery and soft?
- When it walks, does it use all 4 limbs?
- Have you seen it urinate lately, or defecate? What do the stools look like?
- Has it ever gotten any medicines, prescribed by the vet or not?

12. Walk us through your typical care day- what do you do to it or the habitat? How often do you handle it, etc.?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I want to make sure we are getting the whole picture. Maybe we are missing something helpful.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Are you putting calcium/D3 on his food? If so stop it for now.
They hate it. Mine will not eat his greens if treated. Also when you soak remember he is a very tiny baby and you need very little water & make sure the water is warm.

tanker

5 Year Member
NO I havent used D3 and the water is always warm always warm if I soak him.
Mark thank you for your concern and questions. Is it possible that I can just call you and we can talk about what he has been doing etc...? If not then I can post it too.
Thanks again

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
tanker said:
NO I havent used D3 and the water is always warm always warm if I soak him.
Mark thank you for your concern and questions. Is it possible that I can just call you and we can talk about what he has been doing etc...? If not then I can post it too.
Thanks again

You are welcome to call, but the public option allows more people to offer ideas. I'll PM you my number.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi tanker I have been following ur posts but have not posted as i have a Hermann and there care is different to yours but i have had a lot of good advice on ths forum and I think if u post some pictures of your torts home from different angles and post what substance and temps in the different areas are they will be able to point out ways to help ur little guy feel more at ease.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I agree with Candy's post Tanker. But at this point, and since he is not responding to anything, is there a really good reptile vet you can take him to? Sometimes a bad vet will do more harm than good, but the way you are describing him, and you are saying everything you are doing gets no response from him, has me a little worried.

tanker

5 Year Member

Attachments

• Tort1.jpg
    Tort1.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Tort2.jpg
    Tort2.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 325

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Hi Tanker. As i said before i do not keep redfoots i have a Hermanns so i am not an expert but i have picked up this guys like lots of hiding places like plants and i am wondering if ur like one does not feel safe u could ty adding some safe plants for more cover for it. If this does not help I would take this like one to a good vet to be checked over if its not eating and drinking. By the time we notice they are ill they are pretty sick so i would be going to the vets

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
I'm so sorry I was hoping it was normal shyness until I read about his little eyes being closed... I really hope you and he get lucky and he pulls through ((())

turtletania

5 Year Member
I agree with others - get him to a vet. These little guys are so fragile. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
I never had redfoots but Does his eyes look puffed up i know they are closed but my torts eyes do not look this puffed up when they are closed, I may be wrong and this may be a redffoot thing but i am wondering if this little one as a eye infection?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your little Red is absolutely beautiful. So full of color. I am no expert, but please find a GOOD vet ASAP. His eyes should not be closed all the time, plus he is not eating. My new baby is about the same size, and is out eating every morning and afternoon, and goes in his water dish on his own. I know NERD doensn't like running to the Vet, but now might be the time to find a good one. I hope he gets better for you.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
What is a Vet. with no experience at "starting" redfoot tortoise hatchlings going to say or do? More probing and poking? This baby has not had a bit of "peace" for the past 2 weeks..... and who knows how it was started/treated(??).. before then!

THAT TerryO is why I feel [ in most cases and THIS case especially ] Vets are not needed.

NERD

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Would you beable to feed it some watered down babyfood with a pipette or something it looks so helpless... :( Maybe gently wiping its eyes with water on a cotton ball after...
Come on baby redfoot keep strong!!!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
How is he today? Are his eyes still closed or is he better. He sure is a beauty. What is the temp. in his enclosure are you being able to keep it around 85 or not? I tried to see in your picture, but I couldn't see the gauge.

How is your baby doing this morning? He is beautiful. Have you been able to keep the temps. up or not? I tried to look at your gauge in one of the pictures but it's not possible to read it. Did you get to speak with Terry or Madkins on the phone for advice? I'm hoping that he's stronger today, let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.